Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pain induced controller anyone?

gnasha
10-17-2004, 04:21 AM
Call it a silly even stupid idea or may be I'm just a bit masochist, but I think it could makes game a bit more realistic. For me the difference between racing virtually and in real life is, 1. the impression of speed felt by the whole body and the adrenaline rush from the risk taken. Therefore if we could have a controller delivering pain when you do make mistakes, like a mild electric shock for example, it would make you think about it twice before rushing at 200km/h into an hairpin corner hoping that the car in front will just help you to turn.
I'll have to try to modify a rumble controller so when the rumble get full speed you get your little dose too, to test this theory, but you would you buy such a device?

P.S: If I don't post ever again it would mean it doesn't work... or pluging the pain delivering device straight into the main was a bit too optimistic and the cow electric barrier device would just have been fine.

MasterChief1724
10-17-2004, 01:08 PM
I see where you are going with this and its a pretty good idea. Two problems though. It would probably be really expensive. Also what if a old person was playing and they had a bad heart. If they did something wrong wouldn't the shock kill them?

gnasha
10-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Well you put the controller back in their hands and rush the car on the game into a wall shouting "CLEAR!".
The shock would be mild like an animal electric barrier just to make you jump and release the controller but I agree that there is an ethical problem of having to sell harming toy.

Andydg
10-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Would could make this work pretty easily. You could even put a switch on it so you can turn it on and off.

Just hook a batter up to some a positive and negative electrodes and drill them into the controller so they sit on you palm. Then have an automatic switch turn on when the rumble thing freaks out that lets the electrical current travel to the electrodes and deliver the shock. I think it might work. You'll just have to find someone dumb enough to test it for you.

Underground_Killah
10-18-2004, 01:35 AM
riiight then they play an rpg like star ocean whre it rumbles for NO REASON..

gigglesnirt
10-18-2004, 06:20 PM
i've already seen something thats simliar to what your talkin aobut i think, it was called the painstation, it was a simple game i think pong or something, and two people on each side of the machine, and if you lost a point, you either get whipped by a wire that swings out, the pad were your hand goes gets hot, or it will shock you, and it look pretty intense.

PossibleSideEffect
10-19-2004, 08:16 AM
With all the "sue-happy" people in the world, there would be a lot of lawsuits over this one.
I think it's already been invented though. I think I saw it online about 7 years ago or so.

sidewinderl
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Horrible idea. Improving feedback is great, but pain is taking it too far.

gigglesnirt
11-03-2005, 04:05 PM
i dunno pain can be sort of fun if its just a little joke, an example is this company who makes many toys that shock you if you lose while competing against friends, they have remote control tanks that shoot lasers, and if your tank gets hit your controller shocks youa little, there is also a 4 way reaction game that will do the same if your last or push the button too soon, and i think they have one for laser tag also, its great fun and depending on how intense it is or not it could be a good idea.

gnasha
11-07-2005, 07:06 AM
i've already seen something thats simliar to what your talkin aobut i think, it was called the painstation, it was a simple game i think pong or something, and two people on each side of the machine, and if you lost a point, you either get whipped by a wire that swings out, the pad were your hand goes gets hot, or it will shock you, and it look pretty intense.
I found your painstation thingy though and it look pretty intence. A mild shock will do, I do not fancy having the hand sliced in two nor burned to death.
http://www.fursr.com/details.php?id=51&pid=51
If I remember well I think an arcade game had been released in the 80's sending electric shock but I can find anything at all about it.
Anyway flicking through catalogues for my chrismas shopping (yes already) I found quite a few games working on this principle. I really fancy doing a prototype but I can't get the time to do it.

dpsayz
01-19-2006, 04:53 PM
uhm.. no?

Add your comment to this topic!