Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 3.4L cold ONLY hesitation

Otismo
10-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Well in comes the cold weather, and new car problems. Since the weather started getting cold at night, and still warm in the afternoon ( Utah ), my truck decides it wants to hesitate. It will do it every morning without fail. Whenever the engine is completely cold at the start of the day, it will hesitate at like 2.3k-2.6k RPM on every shift - the RPMs will just stick in the same spot for about 3-5 seconds and then all of a sudden it will just start going again. When I put the pedal to the metal, it will hesitate longer than just lightly accelerating it seems. Then sometimes, but rarely, when I turn off my truck for an hour or so and the engine is still hot, when I start driving again I can feel a little hesitation, but just a hare compared to when it's stone cold. Most times when the engine is hot though, it won't hesitate at all. I was told it's something on the fuel side of the spectrum... any suggestions please? I'm selling my truck soon so I need to get this fixed ASAP. :mad:

tacoma man.
10-19-2004, 02:59 PM
my truck with the 2.7 does the same thing when it is cold. i can hold mine to the floor and it seems like its barely crawling. but after it warms up its fine

Otismo
10-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Can someone suggest the best place to start... I've heard things such as the fuel filter, TPS, other various switches/sensors, spark plugs / wires - the guy at Checker told me it was on the fuel side rather than the ignition... I'm in dire need of assistance.

Otismo
10-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Well I replaced the fuel filter and it still hesitates... what would be the best bet to check next?

aloe868
11-10-2004, 12:33 AM
I had the same thing...took me six months and various parts/ideas. End result, after FF, wires, plugs (which were incorrect), air filter, OBD-II, & countless bottles of fuel additives...COIL PACK(S)!!!!!!!!!!!!

The actual coil wasn't bad rather the end of the boot was dry-rotted, the cracks allowed the spark to escape, but not enough to throw the check engine light. I now have approx 10K on the new coil pack as the weather has started to cool in the morning I am beginning to have the slightest stumble/hesitation. All 3 coil packs showed signs of dry-rot so I replaced the worst one. Looks like it's time for another About $80.00 from the dealer.

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!