Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Drivers Information Trouble (DIC)

pntcbonnesse
10-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey I have a 1994 Bonneville SSE and Im havin trouble with the DIC, it blanks out. It just shuts off! Well, I always just figured it was the screen goin bad... but when I was drivin the other day the screen was on and I was runnin out of gas, so naturally the "check gauges" lamp comes on and on the HUD (heads up display) the "check gauges" lamp and the gas icon appear on the windshield. Well when the DIC went out so did the "check gauges" and gas icon on the HUD. So now im thinking its more than just the screen. So is there some sort of module or something that controls that? or does the ECM or what... Thanks--

randman1
10-16-2004, 07:36 PM
According to my 93 diagrams, the DIC module is integraged with the cluster itself. The only information I could find on the HUD is that there is a "check gauges" and "low fuel" output from the cluster and the corresponding inputs to the HUD module. It sounds like there is a problem with the cluster. I'm not too surprised.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the two connections behind the cluster and reconnect a couple of times. By doing this, it tends to make a better electrical connection. You may get lucky as this procedure has fixed some.

FierceGT
10-17-2004, 07:33 PM
I'll agree with that...I had the same trouble with my 92 SSEi, I found another in a junk yard and installed it. That one worked great for about 6 months and then it started flickering in and out....same problem with the HUD as you mentioned. So I put the original one back in and it worked fine for a while...must be typical GM wiring connectors causing a bad connection.

pntcbonnesse
10-17-2004, 11:25 PM
well shit... I took one out of the junkyard as well but have not installed it yet. When I was at the junkyard I had to saw the thing in 1/2 so get it out. My guess is that I have to take apart the steering column to get to it without breaking everything... is that correct? And thanks for the help I appreciate it.

FierceGT
10-18-2004, 11:21 AM
no no no.....all you have to do is pull the surround peice for the radio and vents that go above the steering column. It just snaps in place with little clips...all you do is pull them straight out...but be carefull not to break the plastic trim. then all the screws that hold in the gauge panel are right there...i'm pretty sure there are 3 screws across the top side, 2 on the bottom side and 1 on the right that hold it in.

pntcbonnesse
10-18-2004, 11:00 PM
I know about the plastic trim piece haha I take that out all the time installing the radio system and XM radio but the last comment/question I have is that when I tried it at the junkyard I couldnt get my hand behind it... it wouldnt pull out for me. Any tips? Thanks again

randman1
10-19-2004, 06:43 AM
I would recommend removing the two 13mm bolts under the column. You do need some movement there to remove the cluster.

After all of the cluster screws have been removed and the column has been lowered, pull the bottom of the cluster outward so the gauges are facing up. Move the cluster to the right a couple of inches and you will have room to disconnect the connectors.

FierceGT
10-19-2004, 09:46 AM
I got mine in and out just by dropping the steering wheel with the tilt steering. It should come out without all this extra trouble. If you're referring to the electrical plugs that are holding it in...then yes you have to get your hand squeezed back in there to pull them out.

pntcbonnesse
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
allright thanks a lot ill have to try it soon and ill have to post back here and let ya'all know how it went.... one more question... if it doesnt fix the problem... what should I do?

Add your comment to this topic!