Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Passat CD Player Battery Problem

bloodyoungwanker
10-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Hey just recently purchased a 91 passat wagon and it had a pioneer cd player put into it, but wasn't "plugged in" I took the owner's advice which was that his daughter had a 5CD changer that he took out and that was why it wasn't working. I took it to a stereo place, they rehooked it up, -- it works fine... but now it will not turn off EVER... It says OFF but the light appears on...

The battery was dead a week later... so I was wondering if it is hooked up wrong?? Or is it supposed to be hooked up directly to the batter??? and is that why the owner really had it unplugged and advised me to purchase a new battery???

I know nothing about cars so make any help dumbed on the terminology.

Cheers

benlasher
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey just recently purchased a 91 passat wagon and it had a pioneer cd player put into it, but wasn't "plugged in" I took the owner's advice which was that his daughter had a 5CD changer that he took out and that was why it wasn't working. I took it to a stereo place, they rehooked it up, -- it works fine... but now it will not turn off EVER... It says OFF but the light appears on...

The battery was dead a week later... so I was wondering if it is hooked up wrong?? Or is it supposed to be hooked up directly to the batter??? and is that why the owner really had it unplugged and advised me to purchase a new battery???

I know nothing about cars so make any help dumbed on the terminology.

Cheers

I know on a 1990 Passat, the radio is wired into direct battery power, not through an ignition switch. So, the CD player is constantly draining power from the battery even with the car off (if it is not original equipment and has some power drw like memory and or lights on the faceplate).

The factory radio must be turned off after the car is shut off.

Newer stereo units don't have a power off, and although you may eject a CD, the unit still draws some power.

Thats why it was unplugged.

Soon to be posted from me: How to wire a new deck into an ignition power line...

PeterG.
02-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I know on a 1990 Passat, the radio is wired into direct battery power, not through an ignition switch. So, the CD player is constantly draining power from the battery even with the car off (if it is not original equipment and has some power drw like memory and or lights on the faceplate).

The factory radio must be turned off after the car is shut off.

Newer stereo units don't have a power off, and although you may eject a CD, the unit still draws some power.

Thats why it was unplugged.

Soon to be posted from me: How to wire a new deck into an ignition power line...

:banghead: Just joined and unable to find your instructions! Can you point me in the right direction?

Add your comment to this topic!