Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 lasabre has 4 slow power windows

shadetree3
10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
all four of my power windows run up and down but they are so slow its terrible. they all run at the same speed when actuated individually. also the power door locks seem to not have enough power to lock and unlock the doors on the first try. i have to push the button many times to get the locks to unlock or lock. another note, my light switch on the dash is sensitive. if you move the dimmer quickly or roll it to a certain position it cuts all the lights off in the interior. dash display lights and all inside the car. are all these problems related? could this be caused by a bad light switch on the dash? does all the power go through 1 certain switch? its like the power going to the doors to control these features in low making everything not work properly. i have read alot in the buick lasabre forum and its usually one window not working at all or something like that but not all the same problem at the same time.. I need electrical assistance because i do not have any electrical diagrams for this car. please help asap!!

rustbucket
10-15-2004, 03:48 PM
All the windows (and maybe the door locks to) go through a single fuse, check it. The interior dimmer may be getting worn or dirty causing intermittents. Overall it sounds like things are getting old and not working well. On my '87, one window works slow, the dimmer is intermittent, and only one lock works well. The key doesnt work in one door. The radio slider adjustments are noisy. etc...

buickmastermind
10-15-2004, 04:31 PM
I would suggets, as this happened to me, taking WD-40 to the window tracks, and the door lock joints in the door. It requires taking off the paneling. Don't spray the WD-40 into the plunger for the door locks! Then they won't work at all then. That is a very common problem on those things, though. If you have white grease in a spray can, use that instead, as it will last longer. But, definately lubricate everything.

Rustbucket. They make a product called De-Oxid. It is in an aresol spray can. The dimmer and radio can be fixed by spraying it on. Also, a contact cleaner, also in an aresol spray can, should be sprayed on. That may entirely fix any problem you are having with the dimmer and radio. Try spraying liberal amounts of rust-eaters and WD-40 on the doors locks and parts inside the doors if you already haven't. You will need to take the paneling off, which can get annoying, but it will fix your problems. Make sure all the parts inside the doors can move freely and without restrictions or roughness. That is the best advise I have other than replacing the stuff.

sierrap615
10-16-2004, 06:38 PM
if you are going to take the door panel off anyway, i would get a multimeter and a amp-clamp. check voltage drop and current draw, if the current draw is high, there is mechanical resistance, if the amprage is low, there is electrical resistance. sorry i don't know what the ideal current draw is, but i would guess around 4 or 5 amps maybe.

Add your comment to this topic!