Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing neutral safety switch

himanshukhona
10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi,
I need to some guidance on replacing the neutral safety switch.
Need to know where is it located & how can I test it?
Talking about 1994 toyota camry 4 door sedan 4 cylinder.
Thanks
Himanshu

Brian R.
10-15-2004, 03:01 PM
What type of transmission?

himanshukhona
10-15-2004, 03:55 PM
What type of transmission?
Automatic transmission

Brian R.
10-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Just to the right of the transmission cooler lines is the transaxle control cable pulling on a lever. The lever is attached to the park/neutral position switch (triangular shaped housing). At the top is the park/neutral position switch connector.

To remove the switch, you disconnect the cable housing from the bracket and then disconnect the cable from the throttle linkage. You then remove the clips and disconnect the transaxle control cable from the manual shift lever, remove the manual shift lever, and then remove the park/neutral position switch.

The following terminals should have continuity in the gears listed:
Park 5-6 and 4-7
R 4-8
N 5-6 4-10
D 4-9
2 2-4
L 3-4

If engine can be started in positions other than N or P:
Loosen park/neutral position switch bolt set shift lever to neutral position. Align the groove in the shaft with the neutral basic line. Hold in position and tighten the bolt (48 in-lbs). The neutral basic line runs from the shaft up to the middle of the connector on the top of the switch.

himanshukhona
10-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks for your help biran, SO Would i need to go under the car to pull out that switch? Or I can do it be unscrewing the transaxle(auto stick) from the front? I am very new to doing things on car, thats the reason I am asking so many questions, Excuse me.
Thanks
Himanshu

Brian R.
10-19-2004, 09:59 AM
You can see it from above on the side of the transmission, so you can probably get to it from there also. Fan might be in the way.

Add your comment to this topic!