Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2007 return of the f-bodies?

Cujo2fast
10-14-2004, 10:09 PM
i have heard a lot of talk of the Camaros return in 2007, but has anyone heard the return of its twin, the Firebird? i personally dont think the GTO has that agressive look the Trans Am does. But i just cant see the return of the Camaro with out the Firebird in the lineup.

nbw
10-14-2004, 11:43 PM
I highly doubt we will see a return of the firebird with the new GTO selling as baddly as it is. Hell, I would be really suprised if we actualy got the camaro back. I have yet to see a GTO on the streets yet. And I have already seen three C6 corvettes and a Lotus Elise.
I would still love to see the firebird make a return though. Maybe if GM would make it only weigh about 3300lb's(which is still piggish but far better then the 3800+lb GTO) with double wishbone independent multilink suspension on all four corners, LSD, rear mounted tranny(from a vette :naughty: ) and close to 50/50 weight ballance and about 6inches shorter. But... that will NEVER happen.
Would be fun though :evillol:

burntrice087
10-15-2004, 09:29 PM
i strongly believe(and hope) that GM has the common sense to bring back it's muscle cars to challenge the Mustangs sole domination on the muscle-car market.....here is what i believe GM will arm the Camaro and Firebird with

Base Camaro V6/base Firebird-3.8L or 4.1 with 210-220HP
Camaro Z28/Formula-5.7 LS1(from the C5 Vette)350HP
Camaro SS/Trans Am-6.0L LS2(from the new C6)400HP

DinanM3_S2
10-15-2004, 09:36 PM
i strongly believe(and hope) that GM has the common sense to bring back it's muscle cars to challenge the Mustangs sole domination on the muscle-car market.....here is what i believe GM will arm the Camaro and Firebird with

Base Camaro V6/base Firebird-3.8L or 4.1 with 210-220HP
Camaro Z28/Formula-5.7 LS1(from the C5 Vette)350HP
Camaro SS/Trans Am-6.0L LS6(from the new C6)400HP

I honestly think GM has the sence to avoid challenging the 05' Mustang at its own game. There is no way that GM could make a muscle car in the price range as the Mustang, neither is there a chance that it will be as popular. Im no Mustang guy, but that car is going to sell very well. GM will not profit from competing in the Mustang's market. 300bhp for $24,000-$25,000 is hard to beat.

btw, the engine from the C6 isnt the LS6, its the LS2, the LS6 was from the C5 Z06.

383PhoenixAm
10-15-2004, 10:23 PM
GM never said that they were bringing the Camaro back. If I recall correctly, they are planning on bringing in a sort of replacement. And the Firebird most likely isn't coming back, as nice as it was. GMs focus for Pontiac as of now is going to be on luxury cars. At least that's that GM has disclosed. And to counter the above claims, GM can easily outclass the Mustang with something in the same price range. Anybody can. For some reason they just choose to focus on other things.
Also, while the use of variable valve timing found in the new models is very respectable, the rating of 300 hp @6 grand, which is also the engine redline, is much less than you would expect from a new V8.

kman10587
10-16-2004, 02:01 AM
I think GM will bring the Chevelle back to compliment the GTO, rather than restore the Camaro/Firebird.

CrzyMR2T
10-16-2004, 03:03 AM
i think its cheap how the gto is using semi trailing arms on the rear, expecially for a 30+ grand car.

kman10587
10-16-2004, 03:56 AM
Well, the Corvette uses leaf springs, and it still has bad-ass handling, so don't worry about it. The GTO's weight is what really kills it, anyways.

CrzyMR2T
10-16-2004, 05:49 PM
well the leaf springs on the corvette really doesnt bother me, its mainly the supension geometry, stroke, and damping. the shocks do most of the work on handlng anyways, while the springs mainly keep the car up off the ground.

kman10587
10-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Well, for whatever reason, it bothers a lot of people. My take on the Corvette is that there are two aspects of it: the fact and the fluff. The fluff is that it uses a 1970's suspension, a valvetrain considered obselete by the top-selling import companies, and the shifter is clunky, and notchy, with long throws. But the fact is that it runs the quarter mile in the low 12's, it pulls 0.94g on the skidpad (the C6 pulls 0.97), and it sells for under $50,000.

GTStang
10-17-2004, 03:03 AM
The only things I have heard about bringing the Camaro back are whispers in the hall. But a supporting statement going along with it is GM has no possible plans at all to bring the Firebird back. So the way I see it is Camaro coming back is slim, Firebird coming back is none.

383PhoenixAm
10-17-2004, 03:22 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

JonBoyJr
10-25-2004, 02:39 PM
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/

Best news yet! READ!!!

klohiq
10-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Well, for whatever reason, it bothers a lot of people. My take on the Corvette is that there are two aspects of it: the fact and the fluff. The fluff is that it uses a 1970's suspension, a valvetrain considered obselete by the top-selling import companies, and the shifter is clunky, and notchy, with long throws. But the fact is that it runs the quarter mile in the low 12's, it pulls 0.94g on the skidpad (the C6 pulls 0.97), and it sells for under $50,000.

Other than QM times (which could be changed with a few bolt-ons and a boost controller) the rx7 r1 was better in every way for about the same money...pulling about 1.01g in stock form IIRC...

Then again it is an attention whore and has to be constantly tuned to just barely meet emissions in cali along with all the headache of owning a biturbo rotary which comes stock with an undersized intercooler.

I still love it more than the vette though :P...but they are both amazing...personally I think GM is doing well with keeping just the vette...I never liked any of the new camaros or firebirds...if I had 30k to spend I'd finance the remaining amount and buy a vette rather than save some pocket change and get the mustang...

Zwrangler
10-26-2004, 03:35 PM
lol, its funny that nobody voted for the GTO look, 100% went for the firebird look.

Add your comment to this topic!