Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

780 trans slipage

gregory914
10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
I have an 89 780 Turbo that I bought new. Other than having too many brake pad and rotor combinations to fix a grinding problem (all under warranty) the car has been trouble free. It was driven every day until they stopped making them in 92 (purchased K-Blazer) then it became a summer ride, sort of.

The only nagging problem was/is when the automatic tranny shifts from first to second it takes about 2 or 3 seconds. However, if I shift it manualy it will catch scratch going into second and not miss a beat. The first time I complained to the dealer was at 114 miles(not thousand) the second time was at 1500.........and so on. Anything they did, didn't help. Shortly after the 3 year warr. was up it started slipping more and the dealer told me it might need a tranny! Currently it has 58k miles on it and second is not there, it's no different than nuetral.

When I stopped driving it daily it had 51k miles on it and has been well maintained (Mobil 1, trans fluid every 10k) and still looks mint! this car is a blast to drive, the mechanic tightened the waste gate spring, increased fuel pressure, and advanced the timing just short of predetination. I want to get the trans fixed, does anyone have any reccomendations of a salvaged one or a shop that specializes in this particular unit and I know it's the same as all 740/760 of that era. I also had a red 740 Turbo wagon that we did similar mods to, and drove it for 170k miles. It was always fun laying waste to 5.0 Mustangs and Z-28s in a wagon with my kids and dog in the back! Altough, it didn't make my wife too happy.

Volvord 784VC
10-14-2004, 09:08 PM
There were two automatic transmissions used on 700 series in those years; the AW71 which was a 3 speed auto with an electric overdrive (making it a 4 speed) and a true 4 speed ZF unit, both were excellent transmissions. Before condeming the trany for slipping I would make sure the "kick down" cable is adjusted correctly. If the cable is not adjusted perfectly it will cause shifting problems and "delays" in upshifting.

gregory914
10-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Thanks, where or how can I find the numbers to tell which trans it is. It does in fact have the push button on the gear shift to engage/disengage the overdrive. And the fluid does appear to be burnt. Any more advice would be most appreciated!

And I just saw :naughty: the picture of your car in the "sleeper" thread wow wow wow...........is that cool. Very nice, very clean swap out of the old tractor motor.

Add your comment to this topic!