fuel door problem

snowmant76
10-13-2004, 04:41 PM
i bought the car this summer and the fuel release botton has neve worked. I have checked all of the fuses that seem relevant and they were all good just wondering if anyone has this problem and a suggestion on where to go from here to fix it.

Vizion
10-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Same thing happened when I bought mine....thought i was alone on this problem. I've had to use a key each time to somewhat 'jimmy' the fuel door open.
Not to mention the light is out on the dash (when the car lights are turned on) also.

snowmant76
10-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Same thing happened when I bought mine....thought i was alone on this problem. I've had to use a key each time to somewhat 'jimmy' the fuel door open.
Not to mention the light is out on the dash (when the car lights are turned on) also.

There is a manual release in the trunk on the left hand side. it its a little cord that hangs down and should be labeled. it pops right open but the electronic component of the fuel door release doesn't work and i don't know why.

Vizion
10-14-2004, 03:39 PM
There is a manual release in the trunk on the left hand side. it its a little cord that hangs down and should be labeled. it pops right open but the electronic component of the fuel door release doesn't work and i don't know why.

So this cord is the reason for the light? Sorry, but I am confused.

Thanks..

snowmant76
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
So this cord is the reason for the light? Sorry, but I am confused.

Thanks..

no the cord has nothing to do with the light, i do not know what your problem is there. the cord is so you don't have to "jimmy" the fuel door everytime you want it open because"jimmying" is never ever good on something that you intend to use repeatedly.

dmorlow
10-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Mine doesn't work either (the fuel door). I got it to work for a while by taking out the spring. But then after a while, it quit working again so I put the spring back in. I seen a service bulletin on this issue. I think they said it just needed to be lubricated usually.

Vizion
10-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Where is the spring exactly? The spring inside the door or somewhere else?

dsatt12
10-23-2004, 09:01 PM
I think he is talking about the little piece of spring steel inside the fuel door under the hinge side.

Mine used to actuate the solenoid to open it just fine, but the door wouldn't pop open.

I fixed my troubles by bending the latch part so it wasn't so tight against the catch on the solenoid and by bending the spring steel outward to give it a little more oomph when it released.

You could also check all the electrical contacs to make sure they are as clean as possible to help things. The switch unit (carefully!) pops out of the dash, then you can unhook the wiring harnesses for the trunk and fuel door. Check/clean the fuse and circuit breaker. I know it's covered by a breaker under the back seat because when I'd have to hit the button 10 times before it would stop working for a while.

The Rebel
10-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Hey dsatt12, whats the deal on getting to the switch?
What to loosen to get to it? Also, you said, check & clean the circuit breaker...What exactly can I expect to "see" when I get to the switch for fuel & trunk? Is there just the switches or is their a fuse in the wire as well? I've checked the fuses by the drivers door
& relays under the rear seat. all good. Is there another area for the fuses? I checked those BIG fuses under the hood by the headlights (passenger side)...:banghead: I'm having prob with the dead wire for the trunk.

dmorlow
10-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Here's the actual bulletin from alldata... The pictures won't show up though in here.

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora V8-244 4.0L DOHC VIN C SFI

Top - Vehicle
Technical Service Bulletins
. All Technical Service Bulletins
. . Fuel Filler Door - Inoperative

Notes

Fuel Filler Door - Inoperative

File In Section: 10 - Body

Bulletin No.: 53-15-01

Date: February, 1995

Subject:
Fuel Filler Door Inoperative (Replace Solenoid or Reset/Replace Spring)

Models:
1995 Buick Riviera
1995 Oldsmobile Aurora

CONDITION
This bulletin references three separate conditions that fuel filler doors may experience.

Some owners may comment on one of the following conditions:

1. Some vehicles may exhibit intermittent operation of the fuel filler door release. Refer to Cause "A".

2. Some fuel filler doors may not spring open enough when actuated. Refer to Cause "B".

3. Some Aurora fuel filler doors may open too far and enter the swing path of the rear door. Refer to Cause "C".

CAUSE

Cause "A"
The intermittent operation of the fuel filler door release may be caused by one or both of the following conditions:

1. Solenoid inoperative.

2. The solenoid plunger may fail to retract due to excessive side load applied by the fuel filler door hinge spring (Figure 1). Refer to Correction

Cause "B"
Some fuel filler doors may not open enough to comfortably grasp the door and open it because adjustments made to the door occasionally change the shape of the spring and reduces the opening force of the hinge spring. Refer to Correction "B".

Cause "C"
Some Aurora fuel filler doors open too far due to adjustments made to center the door in the quarter panel opening occasionally, changing the shape of the fuel filler door hinge. Refer to Correction "C".

CORRECTION

Correction "A"1. With the fuel filler door in the open position, press the release button and observe the operation of the plunger. If the plunger is inoperative:

a. Allow the vehicle to warm to room temperature. If plunger is frozen in position, this will enable the plunger to move. Apply 3M 0846 Silicone Paste, or equivalent, to plunger. Operate solenoid to ensure that the plunger doesn't bind.

b. If the solenoid is still inoperative, refer to Section 8A-136 of the Service Manual for diagnosis of the power and ground for the solenoid.

2. If the fuel filler door is operable then, with the fuel filler door in the opened position, compress the hinge spring such that it is permanently deformed and has a gap of approximately 9.5 mm -10.5 mm (0.37 in. - 0.41 in.) (Figure 2)

Important: Care must be taken to avoid setting the spring gap below 9.5 mm which could result in the fuel filler door not popping open.

a. Close the fuel filler door and operate solenoid to ensure plunger does not bind.

b. If the fuel filler door is inoperative, replace the solenoid.

Correction "B"
Fuel filler doors not opening enough can be corrected by resetting the hinge spring gap to 9.5 mm - 10.5 mm (0.37 in. - 0.41 in.) (Figure 2).

1. Open fuel filler door.

2. Reset the hinge spring gap to approximately 9.5 mm - 10.5 mm to achieve the proper opening force.

Important: Care must be taken to avoid setting the spring gap above 10.5 mm which could result in the fuel filler door not popping open due to high side loads on the solenoid plunger.

3. Verify fuel filler door operation.

Correction "C"
A fuel filler door opening too far can be corrected by installing a modified version of the spring.

1. Remove fuel filler door. Refer to Section 10, Group 9 of the Service Manual.

2. Modify spring, P/N 25607681, as shown in Figure 3.

3. Install modified spring, P/N 25607681, onto fuel filler door hinge as shown in Figure 4.

4. Install fuel filler door and verify for proper operation.

5. Open fuel filler door and, using touch up paint of the appropriate color, cover any bare metal exposed due to fuel filler door removal.

PARTS INFORMATION
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Labor Time

B6000 0.2 hr
Add 0.1 hr (For Correction "C" only)

Copyright 2004 ALLDATA LLC
Terms of Use

dsatt12
10-25-2004, 07:25 AM
The switch itself just pops out with the trunk switch and the little piece of trim they are in. I doubt it's bad since it's sooo simple, but you might as well check it since it's really easy.

I just checked that the 2 terminals up front connected to each other when i pressed the button. You can check for power there as well (it should likely be on all the time).

There is another set of fuses on the left side of the dash. You should see the cover with your door open. I think there is a fuse in there for this as well.

As for checking the rear circuit breakers, I doubted they go bad, but cleaning the pins and verifying that at least two of the pins are connected when I had it out was about all I did. It they aren't, it would have to mean the thing is permanently tripped (burned out?).

I don't think the big honking fuses up front have anything to do with this system.

Good luck.

Aurora44
10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
The same thing happend to mi ne. My dad owned the car before me, and he got it fixed once and it broke again. Now when I hit the switch it sounds like the Solenoid operate, however the door fails to open. I have just used the manual one since it has been out. I would like to see if it is just the spring or what?

The Rebel
10-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks! dsatt12:smokin:The trunk wire is dead...I'll trace it from the opening of the trunk switch to the fuse box and see what happens. yes the door has fuses on the drivers side ...they are OK!

The Rebel
10-29-2004, 06:52 AM
The switch itself just pops out with the trunk switch and the little piece of trim they are in. I doubt it's bad since it's sooo simple, but you might as well check it since it's really easy.

I just checked that the 2 terminals up front connected to each other when i pressed the button. You can check for power there as well (it should likely be on all the time).

There is another set of fuses on the left side of the dash. You should see the cover with your door open. I think there is a fuse in there for this as well.

As for checking the rear circuit breakers, I doubted they go bad, but cleaning the pins and verifying that at least two of the pins are connected when I had it out was about all I did. It they aren't, it would have to mean the thing is permanently tripped (burned out?).

I don't think the big honking fuses up front have anything to do with this system.

Good luck.
:screwy:I now see that the trunk wire is a loom. I was told to follow the wire till I got to the point where it was hot again. example: from the trunk switch to the fuse box....any suggestions, as to find out which wire is the Trunk wire? color? (I'm trying to get the trunk to "pop" open when I use the button on the Dash or the remote.)

Rezarecter
10-29-2004, 11:40 AM
you can actually disconnect the solenoid, remove it, take it apart and take the ceramic disc capacitor and resistor out of it, they seem to be irrelevant, mine did the same thing and we took it all out, and it works like a dream now.

The Rebel
10-29-2004, 10:38 PM
you can actually disconnect the solenoid, remove it, take it apart and take the ceramic disc capacitor and resistor out of it, they seem to be irrelevant, mine did the same thing and we took it all out, and it works like a dream now.

Yes "if" there was Power to the wire this application may work, but,
I want to know why there is no power to the wire. all fuses are good relay
can be heard when you click on the remote but the trunk will not budge...
I'll check to see if the Glove Box (valet) is creating this problem and post later. There is NO power to the wire to open the trunk...:banghead:

Hotroddur
11-13-2004, 03:20 PM
On my 95 the dash buttons that release the trunk and fuel door have quit working on two occasions. The problem was that they had been pushed too hard and when that happens they pop out of place, downward a slight amount. I have to take the plastic panel off which is just below the two buttons and snap the buttons back up into place. The screws that hold the panel on are at the bottom edge where it wraps under the dash. Seems odd that they don't work when the move so slightly out of place but they don't. The switch is displaced so slightly that most people would not realize it has moved, yet it is enough that it keeps the switches from working.

Fashnhag
11-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I know it sounds dumb, but my fuel door won't pop open with the switch unless I hit it while the car is still in drive. I've gotten used to it, so when I pull up to the gas station, I hit the button before throwing it into park. I had the door fixed once. I don't know what they changed, but it only worked for a few weeks and this has worked since.
tiff janssen

dmorlow
12-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Well, I tried the fix by Rezarecter and it didn't work. I might have done something wrong but I totally destroyed my solinoid. So I went to the dealer and bought a new one. Works absoultely perfect now.

LesGrandsPieds
12-19-2004, 03:18 AM
On my 95 the dash buttons that release the trunk and fuel door have quit working on two occasions. The problem was that they had been pushed too hard and when that happens they pop out of place, downward a slight amount. I have to take the plastic panel off which is just below the two buttons and snap the buttons back up into place. The screws that hold the panel on are at the bottom edge where it wraps under the dash. Seems odd that they don't work when the move so slightly out of place but they don't. The switch is displaced so slightly that most people would not realize it has moved, yet it is enough that it keeps the switches from working.
That's exactly what happened to my '96, and I pulled the plastic piece out just as you described doing. I find it very strange though, mine didn't have any screws holding it in, it just had little tabs.
Still, I know exactly what you mean. On mine, I could tell that the buttons had moved because the indicators that say TRUNK and FUEL DOOR popped out of place as well. They seem to be connected to the same panel. Those little lighted indicators are actually supposed to be flush with the inside of the curved plastic piece.
Weird.

dmorlow
12-19-2004, 07:30 AM
I don't believe that any of them have screws. You can take apart a lot of the Aurora without ever needing a screw driver. I kind of like that part of the car

That's exactly what happened to my '96, and I pulled the plastic piece out just as you described doing. I find it very strange though, mine didn't have any screws holding it in, it just had little tabs.
Still, I know exactly what you mean. On mine, I could tell that the buttons had moved because the indicators that say TRUNK and FUEL DOOR popped out of place as well. They seem to be connected to the same panel. Those little lighted indicators are actually supposed to be flush with the inside of the curved plastic piece.
Weird.

Add your comment to this topic!