Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should I swap?

Chinchilla
10-13-2004, 02:46 PM
I just got a 1994 Integra GS-R and the V-Tec motor has around 195k on it. Should i swap it for a USDM GS-R motor or a JDM GS-R motor or just keep the motor. I want to race so what would be the best way to go.

gsr916
10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
i say if u have enough money for a swap, just rebuild your current B18c. Maybe ctr pistons too ;)

Ace$nyper
10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
yes a rebuild would be a better plan cheaper and more power.

Do you even need a rebuild? I know alot of cars over 195K in fine running shape. A car with alot of miles can still run strong esp a honda dont let a big # fool you. Get a leakdown test first before you spend any cash thats not needed.

DjMasaker
10-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Well he said he wanted to race. I dont think it's wise to race at 195K. If you are going to race, and really get into it, and have the money, just get a new engine. If not, and your on a semi limited cash flow, just rebuild the current engine. I would also advise in that case a leakdown test, just to make sure the car will still be reliable before you waste money on the current engine.

trw
10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
why wouldnt that be wise? its just a # imo.... just replace worn out parts, relube anything needing a relube, replace air filter or clean it, maybe new spark plugs, check and make sure the belt is not worn out and is nice and tight, replace ur oil with a good synthetic blend or use the GTX high mileage oil :biggrin:

just a simple rebuild then typical maintainence and it will be just as good as any new engine.

if the engine block is in bad shape then just have it machined.

DjMasaker
10-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Well normally at any number over 100K, there is gonna be alot of wear on the engine. Almost hitting two? It wouldn't be wise to do any racing without somekind of rebuild. Not to mention, if we are talking actual racing and not street light to street light, and engine rebuild would be expected anyhow.

RSfrankenstein
10-13-2004, 10:37 PM
why wouldnt that be wise? its just a # imo.... just replace worn out parts, relube anything needing a relube, replace air filter or clean it, maybe new spark plugs, check and make sure the belt is not worn out and is nice and tight, replace ur oil with a good synthetic blend or use the GTX high mileage oil :biggrin:

just a simple rebuild then typical maintainence and it will be just as good as any new engine.

Its as simple as a simple rebuild. very simple. Even babies can do engine rebuilds. I learned how to rebuild an engine before i learned how to talk or write the alphabet.

-Elephant-
10-13-2004, 10:57 PM
its important that you remember the golden rules of rebuilding. first, piston rings with a differential ratio comprable to the shaft rating of your discs are always a plus. Second, integras are known for combustable anti-matter once they have surpassed the 150k mark, so consult a physican before working on it. Third, and probably the most important rule, gremlins are attracted to the chemical know as dexstrulium which is only used in integras, so i would advise working on your car only during the day with an armed guard.

RSfrankenstein
10-13-2004, 11:04 PM
A very overlooked part of engine rebuild is reinforcement. Although we have forged rods, forged crank and pistons, our block is very weak. You can highly benifit from using a block guard. The block guard blocks the guard and gaurds the block. U can also weld rebar in the cooling jacket behind the cylinder walls to add more blocking power to the block gaurd. can you say, block gaurd?

-Elephant-
10-13-2004, 11:08 PM
thats very true frankie, Block guards are super important, for they block the guard which needs to be blocked. And if we didnt block the guard then there would be serious problems. thus reinforcement is essentially linked to guard blocks

trw
10-13-2004, 11:20 PM
maybe they should try banning his ISP instead of IP.

DjMasaker
10-14-2004, 09:56 AM
why wouldnt that be wise? its just a # imo.....

I have done the math and i can tell you this. At195,000 miles, we will take into consideration this will be off, but it'll sum it up. We can put the MPH at an average of 60, of course it should be lower, but for this we will put it at 60. And even that at an unheard of RPM of 2000, which is impossible to have as an average, but again for this. That puts the lifetime RPM of the crank at 390,000,000. And no, there is no typeo, thats 390million rotations. That is alot, and it would actually be more, we can expext actual MPH average to be at about 45. And the RPM's closer to 3500 to 4000, that would be closer to 1 billion rotations. So yes the engine is wore down.

just replace worn out parts, relube anything needing a relube, replace air filter or clean it, maybe new spark plugs, check and make sure the belt is not worn out and is nice and tight, replace ur oil with a good synthetic blend or use the GTX high mileage oil :biggrin:

I had said to do a rebuild if money is tight, you questioned me and then aggreed in the same paragraph? That doesn't make sense, you ended up telling to do a rebuild just like I did.

b18 ls
10-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I had said to do a rebuild if money is tight, you questioned me and then aggreed in the same paragraph? That doesn't make sense, you ended up telling to do a rebuild just like I did.

For a newbie, DjMasaker is right on. I don't care how good honda engines are. 195,000 is alot. If you plan to race, I would also suggest a rebuild. RPM, meaning rotation per minute. Use the actual numbers and do the math. It's adds up to alot. Good job dj.

DjMasaker
10-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Another thing that i didn't factor in there is idle time, time for warm up, stop signs, stop lights, traffic, all of that will be included on top of the 195,000 miles, so the rotations keep going up.

-Raccoon-
10-14-2004, 12:54 PM
rotations are far more important in understanding the wear and tear on a vehicle. Like you guys have been hinting at, there should be a rotation meter in each car. Infact they should place it by your total miles on the engine. Thus giving you an idea of how many rotations your car's engine has taken. this is important for some people like to sit in their car and listen to music, or they dont use their air conditioning, or they warm their car up in the morning. All of these factors eventually put different amounts of wear and tear on your engine.

Dr.Octopus
10-14-2004, 02:01 PM
This is true, you must be a mechanic for a major car company...i bow to your ruthless knowledge of engines

-Badger-
10-14-2004, 02:43 PM
in reality im the master of master mechanics, i share this with you in confidence that you will not share it with anyone else

shaunthebadass
10-15-2004, 04:47 PM
buy a k20a2, go to this website (www.hybrid-racing.com)and check out the details of the swap and see some trailers to the movies that we are about to make, the civic hatches have the k20 in them and are pretty damn quick

sageuvagony
10-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Holy shit I have never seen so many banned members in one thread

Add your comment to this topic!