Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3.8 head gasket

merkurman13
10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
my 86 t-bird has blown the gasket and of course has the 3.8. ive torn down pretty much everything except i cant get the pqassenger side head off. i know ive got to take off the exhaust manifold but that pretty much seems impossible from any angle. does anyone have a solution for me? the only thin that icould think of was to take out the inside fender wall or maybe breaking the motor mounts loose and jacking up the motor. if there is an eiser fix then please either post or email me. it would be much appreciated.
nate
nb000179117@ltu.edu

Mike75
10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
K & W Block Seal (available at auto parts stores) worked for me.

I have the same engine, and blew a head gasket (big surprise). I did some research on the Block Seal, and liked what I've found. I used it and have had no problems since. Hope this helps.

emailer33
10-18-2004, 02:15 AM
I see where you're coming from, as i replaced the 3.8 heads on my 93. i found that if you remove one bolt from teh exhaust manifold to pipe connection, you can push it out of the way enuf to remove teh heads. Other than that if you just have to have a tight fit to reach the bolts

Soupnutz
10-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I blew a driverside head gasket and replaced that one without much problem. I wanted to replace them both as a set but had problems on that side. My socket broke trying to get one of the bolts out so I bought a new one and failed to notice that it was a 12 point, I wound up rounding the bolt head and now it's pretty much ungettable without destroying the cylinder head.
But back to the exhaust manifold, I undid the flange bolts then used a wrench to get the head bolts. I just left it hanging in there.

Add your comment to this topic!