1994 Wrangler Clutch / Transmission Problems

alexrogo
10-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Greetings,

I have been having trouble with my Jeep Wrangler. 1994 YJ with 69,000 miles. Basically it started when I couldn't shift into any gear at a full stop. Whenever Reverse is engaged a grind is heard. I can barely get it into Reverse without major grind. I also have a very difficult time shifting into First. Basically I cannot shift into First if the vehicle is not moving. So I must shift into First before coming to a full stop if I expect to keep moving. Once First has been engaged and in motion the other gears (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th) are pretty easy to find.

I would like to know a good position to start. It looks like I'll need to bring it in for service, but I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and any costs / parts that I should have a heads up on.

Thanks - Alex

Blair25
10-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Is your idle running higher than normal? If you have and idle sensor on your jeep that could be problem. I had same 1st & rev. prob. a few weeks ago along with higher idle and got new idle control sensor and that fixed the problem, plus helped my mileage.

alexrogo
10-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Is your idle running higher than normal? If you have and idle sensor on your jeep that could be problem. I had same 1st & rev. prob. a few weeks ago along with higher idle and got new idle control sensor and that fixed the problem, plus helped my mileage.

-- I haven't really noticed an Idle problem. Although it does seem to idle rough when in first gear and slowing to a stop. I obviously have to keep the clutch pedal depressed when stopping and this is when the idle gets tricky. I'll look into this. Thanks very much for your response.

addihs214
10-13-2004, 07:44 PM
I have been having the same problem. Never thought about the idle thing, but I may have to look into that. But wouldn't that set off a Check Engine Light?

My thoughts are, there could be air in the line. When completely stopped, try pumping the clutch 4 or 5 times. If I goes right into gear then you may need to bleed the system. I think that is my problem because the line to the slave cylinder broke. Hope this helps.

alexrogo
10-14-2004, 07:44 AM
I have been having the same problem. Never thought about the idle thing, but I may have to look into that. But wouldn't that set off a Check Engine Light?

My thoughts are, there could be air in the line. When completely stopped, try pumping the clutch 4 or 5 times. If I goes right into gear then you may need to bleed the system. I think that is my problem because the line to the slave cylinder broke. Hope this helps.

you know, I actually tried that this morning. It helped a little bit. I think that it might be the clutch master (let's hope it's not the slave) which would probably need replacing. First we'll bleed the lines and see how that helps. Anyone have experiencing doing this? I'm assuming its exactly like a brake line bleed, but I don't have a repair manual yet on this jeep and I'd like to start diagnosing the problem.

djmoore85
10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
To bleed the clutch, either get a one-person hand-bleeder system or have someone help you. with someone inside, get underneath and find the slave on the outside of the tranny. i hav a 94, and done this a couple times. locate the bleed screw on top of the slave where the hydraulic line comes in. it will be a small size allen head. have someone pump the pedal 5 times and on number six push and hold all the way in. turn that bleed screw til air stops running out of the bleed hole (lot of nasty brake fluid spray in a close space, i advise goggles) and then close it. make sure they keep the pedal to the floor til you close that screw. do this around 6-7 times, checking fluid in reservoir at master each time and don't let fluid level drop too much. easy deal to bleed, so it'll only require patience and a cooperative assistant. hope this helped

Add your comment to this topic!