Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rotaryswap?

g_metalowl
10-13-2004, 04:45 AM
heypeople, i really don't know much about rotaries but i do know they put out a ton of power for having barely any parts and i am wondering if putting a rotary in to another car is easy or hard and if anyone here has done that before?
the car is an old volvo sports coupe its rear wheel drive already but its got a cracked head so i thought with a smerk rotaryTT. price quotes on any thing?

any help is greatly appreciated
-nick

g_metalowl
10-13-2004, 04:57 AM
oh by the way going fo a 13bTT want to know about rear end and tranny connections...pretty sure i cant use the volvos stock huh.

mcs
10-13-2004, 05:19 AM
why the hell would you want to waste money to put a rotary into a volvo ?

drftk1d
10-13-2004, 12:37 PM
get another volvo engine! theyre practically indestuctible and it can hold tons of boost.
talk about torque (which is what you'll miss with the swap)

g_metalowl
10-13-2004, 02:56 PM
really? wow just thought that the rotaries were the cheapest and easiest to work on and you cant blow them right?

mcs: this volvo isn't some soccer mom, kid loading volvo its a sports coupe like a '76 or something classic around that age. trust me i wouldn't by something that didn't have balls, just that ones cracked.

drftk1d: is that the down-fall of the rotaries is the lack of torque? and which volvo engine or volvo comes with the engine that can hold tons of boost?

D3rELiC
10-13-2004, 05:36 PM
a TT engine wont lack of torque, but be prepared to spend lets say

1.3k for the engine
2-3k for a good rebuilt
1k of upgrade
1.5k for the stand alone,
add the intake (i/c piping and stuff)
add the exhaust (sounds like crap if you dont get a good catback)

that will gets you arround 8k and the engine is not even modded like it should

Soyo
10-13-2004, 06:03 PM
rotarys can, and do pop... especially the twin turbo ones

drftk1d
10-13-2004, 06:10 PM
really? wow just thought that the rotaries were the cheapest and easiest to work on and you cant blow them right?

mcs: this volvo isn't some soccer mom, kid loading volvo its a sports coupe like a '76 or something classic around that age. trust me i wouldn't by something that didn't have balls, just that ones cracked.

drftk1d: is that the down-fall of the rotaries is the lack of torque? and which volvo engine or volvo comes with the engine that can hold tons of boost?
Rotary: the advantage: power comes in small packages, less moving parts as compared to a conventional motor, and a smooth predictable powerband

the disadvantage is that the engine (as compared to a traditional engine) has a torque deficiency of sorts (but when you consider the size of the engine its not so bad) and a relatively shorter lifespan before a rebuild. Dont listen to anybody that says that they tend to overheat, they dont. Its just a niche engine that takes some care so it can run right.

About the volvo swap, i thought he was talking about swapping a na 13b (since thats more economical than a re or rew) that explains the torque comment.

I know factually that most of the turbo volvos from the 80s can hold godlike boost (and they come with some decent turbos, if a bit laggy like mitsu td04 and i think a T3)

g_metalowl
10-14-2004, 01:40 AM
ah thanks drftk1d, ill look into the 80 volvo engines, just wondering about the horses on those engines because i know about the rotaries from a rx7TT friend of mine.

D3rELiC: 8 grand, really? i was mapping it at...4to 5 gs.

soyo: are you talking about when you break a seal? 'cause thats they only way ive heard of but then again... its me.

Aruba27
10-14-2004, 05:56 AM
well there are a few seals that can go out, apex and coolant seals are common ones. like you said, there are few parts in a rotary, but they're all pretty crucial, and just about all of them have to be in good shape for the motor to run.

g_metalowl
10-15-2004, 01:41 PM
ok thanks guys for the help. ill go and search now for the best deal on either a rotary or a volvo but all of your info has helped alot.

Add your comment to this topic!