Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help Diagnosing Problems on 92 EX-R

farmerger
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Here are the symptoms. Car runs fine with full tank of gas. As it gets closer to empty, at about 1/4 tank, it starts running rough. Not stalling, just doesn't seem to be as smooth and maybe a little lower in power. A while back the fuel guage stopped going below 1/4, not sure if that is related or not, but the tank is definately at 1/4 tank when fuel guage quits. Is this a fuel filter problem, or is the fuel pump intake clogged, or is the pump toast? I read that you should be able to hear the pump after first starting the car, I hear nothing, but how can the car run without the fuel pump working?

Second problem is that it uses oil. After 3k km it needs a litre of oil. Spark plugs are not fowled and there is no blue smoke out the tailpipe. There is a light oily residue on the rear bumper cover above the exhaust though. No oil leaks beneath the car. This has been going on for along time now, so its high time to stop ignoring the problem, although it hasn't gotten any worse since we got the car 6 years ago. Any thoughts would be appreciated? :banghead:

mpumas
10-12-2004, 04:22 PM
You might have to remove the fuel sensor from the tank to take a look at the inside. There could be crud in the tank which is plugging the filter in the tank and when you get down to 1/4 tank the fuel pump starves for gas. (In fact you should never run your fuel below 1/4 tank at any time. It is fuel that keeps the fuel pump cool and also lubricates the bearing and brushes) You can remove the fuel sensor from the top. It is on the right side just behind the passenger seat under a plastic plug. You will need to make a tool to remove the retainer ring.

As to oil usage, how many miles on the engine and what weight oil are you using? . A quart of oil every 2000miles is not excessive for a car with 200,000 milew is not excessive. You might reduce your oil usage by increasing the oil weight.

AccordCodger
10-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Oil problem - sounds like a leak of some sort. The residue on your bumper is probably nothing compared to what you'll find if you get under the car and look. Check that situation first and let us know.

henrymv
10-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Mpumas says to increase oil weight....can you explain the numbers of oil weight? Is going from 10W-30 to 10W40 an increase??

AccordCodger
10-13-2004, 12:51 PM
When the oil is hot, yes (though not by much).
If I've got this right, 10W-30 means it acts like SAE 10 when it's cold, and like an SAE 30 when it's hot (so the change in viscosity with temperature is less than with a single weight oil).

Honda recommends 5W-30 year round for that model year.

My personal feeling is that upping the weight is a poor way of treating oil leaks (and not a very effective one). I've always used 5W-30 whether I have a leak or not (I'm on my 3rd Accord, all of which had leaks at some time while I owned them).

henrymv
10-13-2004, 01:38 PM
How do you all feel about STP Oil treatment??

AccordCodger
10-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Only ever used it in a klunker of an Olds. And a can of creamed corm would probably have helped just as much!

If I recall correctly, STP oil treatment is primarily to improve the "slipperiness" of the oil, but maybe it claims to help leaks too.

henrymv
10-13-2004, 01:52 PM
I used to use STP on my 74 MOnte Carlo to quiet the lifters....so I wondered if it would be good on a 4 banger to help improve lubication when the engine gets hotter!

mpumas
10-13-2004, 09:05 PM
I would never suggest a higher weight for an oil leak. You need to fix the leak. However, a worn engine that is passing some oil by the rings may be fixed by a higher weight oil but only for a while. STP is like increasing the weight of the oil to 20-50.

farmerger
10-14-2004, 02:53 PM
If I have an oil leak, where could it be leaking from only when the car is being driven. There is no oil stain on my carport concrete slab where the car is parked every night.

Sounds like nobody has come across my fuel problem before, too bad. I think I'll start by changing the fuel filter and take it from there. I gather that I can access the sending unit from above, but have to drop the tank to change the fuel pump, or at least the intake filter. If I do drop the tank, it would probably be wise to change the fuel pump and filter no matter what, or?

henrymv
10-14-2004, 02:57 PM
you may not have a oil leak but oil could be getting past you piston rings and inot the spark plugs....do you smell burning oil?? Also check the Air Fliter Element....is there oil in there? check around the valve cover......

Add your comment to this topic!