Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 explorer auto 4w drv

ahinojo
10-12-2004, 12:55 PM
I have a 2002 explorer xlt with 45k miles. The 4X4 high indicator keeps flashing and it recently wore out a set of michelins that were supposed to last 65k,all 4 tires evenly. My mechanic says that the computer on this car is what's doing it. He says that when the computer detects different wheel speeds,like when turning, it jumps into 4w drv even on clean roads. That would explain the even tire wear out. He also says the shift motor is working perfectly and that there's no fix for this. Does anyone know of a fix or am I looking at tranny and transfer case problems in the near future? Should I trade this thing in as soon as possible? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Al

trucku
12-23-2004, 12:42 AM
I just replaced my stock tires too on my 2002. I have 49k miles on it and all of the tires had worn evenly. I don't know the what the tread ratings are for the Michelins, but I didn't think anything was wrong with all the tires being evenly worn till now. I have had four wheel drive issues. My truck looses 4x4 mode. I have to disconnect the battery to reset something inside and I don't know what. I have done this twice so far and 4x4 mode has been working for 2 weeks now. I will be changing my transfer case fluid soon. hope that works for me.

Add your comment to this topic!