Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The best Triple Threat

3000ways
10-12-2004, 10:01 AM
You are looking to buy a car for around $25k to $35K, and you plan to spend $4k on mods. Which of THESE CARS would be the best triple threat with $4k put in them. Meaning it would offer you the greatest combination of performance at the drag strip, on a road course, and on the streets. Remember you only have $4k to spend on mods.

2005 Subaru WRX STI

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR/RS/MR

2005 Nissan 350Z

1998 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

2005 Honda S2000

2005 Mazda RX-8

jncodave
10-12-2004, 10:07 AM
I would go with the WRX or the EVO because they are AWD and handle really good. My next choice would be the supra.

kfoote
10-12-2004, 10:12 AM
I'd vote for the 2004 STi over the 2005...more parts available and better (though harder to drive) front differential.

Polygon
10-12-2004, 10:27 AM
No question, the Evo.

The others can't touch it on the track and with $4,000 into the engine it will take them all on the drag strip as well. The STi has an open deck engine while the Evo uses a closed deck making it a stronger block. The 350Z can be made to go pretty fast down the strip, but it doesn't stick to the road quite as well as an Evo or the STi. The Supra is the king of the drag strip when it comes to the Japanese cars, but it is too much of a pig to take the others on the track. The S2000 doesn't take well to mods as the engine is already very high strung. And the RX-8, even though it can handle like a champ, it isn't a very powerful car.

The Evo has my vote hands down.

mason_RsX
10-12-2004, 10:46 AM
I would agree with polygon that the evo is the best of bunch when it comes to all around grading...It really isn't the best at anything...but its very good at everything with no real faults

What about SRT-4??? shouldn't it at least be included?

Sean_S
10-12-2004, 10:50 AM
I would agree with polygon that the evo is the best of bunch when it comes to all around grading...It really isn't the best at anything...but its very good at everything with no real faults

What about SRT-4??? shouldn't it at least be included?

I would think that the front wheel drive aspect of the SRT-4 puts the hurt on it, despite having such a good after market and being such a capable car. On top of that, the STR-4 + $4,000 in mods probably wouldn't keep up with, for example, the Evolution MR with $4,000 in mods.

Polygon
10-12-2004, 11:21 AM
I would think that the front wheel drive aspect of the SRT-4 puts the hurt on it, despite having such a good after market and being such a capable car. On top of that, the STR-4 + $4,000 in mods probably wouldn't keep up with, for example, the Evolution MR with $4,000 in mods.

I would have to agree. The SRT-4 takes extremely well to mods but it does not have the handling of the RX-8, STi, S2000, or the Evo. Not only that, but the SRT-4 isn't really in their class. These all being around $30,000 while the SRT-4 is more around $20,000. Not to mention that all these cars are RWD or AWD and the SRT-4 is FWD.

BP2K2Max
10-12-2004, 11:25 AM
i voted evo MR and the 350z's my second choice.

kman10587
10-12-2004, 12:01 PM
No question, the Evo.

The others can't touch it on the track and with $4,000 into the engine it will take them all on the drag strip as well. The STi has an open deck engine while the Evo uses a closed deck making it a stronger block. The 350Z can be made to go pretty fast down the strip, but it doesn't stick to the road quite as well as an Evo or the STi. The Supra is the king of the drag strip when it comes to the Japanese cars, but it is too much of a pig to take the others on the track. The S2000 doesn't take well to mods as the engine is already very high strung. And the RX-8, even though it can handle like a champ, it isn't a very powerful car.

The Evo has my vote hands down.

Ditto.

youngvr4
10-12-2004, 01:11 PM
i disagree

2grand in the supra will make it a 550hp beast

the rest of the money can go into handling and weight reduction.

or $100 can go into the supra and make it a 450hp monster and put 3,900 toward the handling
and weight reduction and there you have it

Polygon
10-12-2004, 01:36 PM
I still doubt you could get it to handle as well as the Evo.

Neutrino
10-12-2004, 01:50 PM
i disagree

2grand in the supra will make it a 550hp beast

the rest of the money can go into handling and weight reduction.

or $100 can go into the supra and make it a 450hp monster and put 3,900 toward the handling
and weight reduction and there you have it

100 seems a bit low. I know supras are among the easiest to upgrade but what can 100 get you beside some cheat boost controller. IMO for properly increasing the power you need to do it properly, a TB exaust at least should be installed before increasing boost and that will be well above 100 usd.

And even if we keep 3999 for handling, its not that much, just the coilovers and their tuning/install should be around 1500-2000 to be as good as the evo's, then new tires and wheels shoud be another 1000-1500. That does not leave that much for weight management. Oh and I forgot the brakes that should be at least another 1500 to even get close to the EVO's insane Brembos and that puts you above the budget already

And major weight loss often implies loss of stretability, stripped interior, lexan windows, no AC......

Anyway my vote goes for the new EVO MR too

MexSiR
10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Take any car, give me the 4,000 to train the driver. And itll take all the other ones on the track.

Jk

Neutrino
10-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Take any car, give me the 4,000 to train the driver. And itll take all the other ones on the track.

Jk

jk or no jk you have a very good point there. Often 4000 spent on a driving school can give you faster lap times than any mods.

youngvr4
10-12-2004, 02:13 PM
it would be best to get exhaust first, but still able to do it with a simple b/c

hell i can get cheaper and say get the exhaust custom.

but i understand your words nuetrino, i think with big brake upgrade and some suspension upgrades........

the supra's straightline will over take the evo

sooo many times i've seen cars win because there straightline was faster than the rest.

and b/c and intake alone will and has gotten supra's to 450hp

3000ways
10-12-2004, 04:25 PM
it would be best to get exhaust first, but still able to do it with a simple b/c

hell i can get cheaper and say get the exhaust custom.

but i understand your words nuetrino, i think with big brake upgrade and some suspension upgrades........

the supra's straightline will over take the evo

sooo many times i've seen cars win because there straightline was faster than the rest.

Wow I don't come here like I use too, when did you become a moderator? Congrats, and with that I have to disagree with you. While I do agree the Supra can be an absolute monster to tune, your power gain estimates seem way high. All turbos gain power easily, the Supra even more so, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Here are two examples of tuning Supras, power gains are impressive, but you will see that your horsepower numbers are too high compared to this, and your funds spent are also low.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0402it_ppsupra/index.html

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0111it_ppsupra/index.html

Neutrino
10-12-2004, 04:42 PM

I hear you, and don't get me wrong i love the markIV tt supras. But it does have several important disadvantages over the evo that IMO outweighted the advatages. Ergo I chose EVO.

Wow I don't come here like I use too, when did you become a moderator? Congrats

Yeah I know its sad that they lowered the standards for mods so low that even youngvr4 got in. :disappoin

Oh wait did it post that out loud. :biggrin: ;)

aznxthuggie
10-14-2004, 12:14 AM
well i would recommend 2 cars out of that
#1 the evo MR its such a good car for its price and all around just nice
#2 350z the 350z has so much tuning ability.. duno about handling tho

jcsaleen
10-17-2004, 08:43 AM
No brainer supra man all supra...

landshark155mph
10-18-2004, 01:41 AM
#1 rx-8 such great handling, with turbo would be near unstopable.
#2 S2000, great high reving engine, with above par handling aspect. just add a little f/i

kman10587
10-18-2004, 02:51 AM
Mazda has an RX-8 Turbo concept making 360 hp. Dunno if it makes it with any sort of reliability.

There's no way in the hell the S2000 can support any sort of forced induction, it's so high-compression.

jcsaleen
10-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Mazda has an RX-8 Turbo concept making 360 hp. Dunno if it makes it with any sort of reliability.

There's no way in the hell the S2000 can support any sort of forced induction, it's so high-compression.

Well last time I saw on import tuner mag there was an S2000 running 560 @ 23 psi. :cool: S2000's have shitty torque though. Shame isnt it :shakehead

kman10587
10-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but they must have done a TON of work to it. The engine stock is extremely high compression, and running any decent amount of psi on it would blow it up in an instant. It's not an ideal car for forced induction at all.

Add your comment to this topic!