Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Ram Heater core & Evaporator

nsheaffer
10-12-2004, 08:40 AM
I am in the mist of changing the heater core and evaporator. Can anybody give me a website or some previous experience on taking these parts out? I have the heater core out but how do I get the evaporator out?

Man, all help is greatly appreciated.

2000dog
10-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Did you remove the entire heater core / evaporator box from the fire wall or did you remove the heater core and leave the box mounted to the fire wall. I'm About to replace mine. the book say's to disconnect the AC but I'm hoping to change the heater core and leave th AC intact. Any thoughts

nsheaffer
10-26-2004, 01:17 PM
You have to unhook the complete box. I was able to remove the heater core but I bent it a little getting it out. there is a little ledge you have to get under to put the core back in. You might be able to lossen all the bolts and that should give you about an 1-2 inches of extra room. then you might be able to slip it in. It was recommended to me to change both if you change the one, but that is entirely up to you.

Did you get your dash off yet?

If you didnt let me know I might be able to make it a little easier on you. It is quite the task.

2000dog
10-26-2004, 02:18 PM
no I haven't. It just started to leak it's barely noticable now but don't want to be stuck in the middle of winter. I was planning on doing it this weekend if I didn't have to unhook the AC but if I have to I might just wait and have a shop do it I haven't decided as of yet.

Thanks for the heads up

hundahunta
10-26-2004, 11:14 PM
yes you need to discharge the ac system.. and remove al the black 10mm nuts on the firewall. There is also one nut behind the pcm

Add your comment to this topic!