Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I have an Interesting fuel problem

danielsmi
10-12-2004, 03:03 AM
I own a 96 LS auto w/80k mi and I notice that when my gas tank is almost empty my car takes much longer to start than if it is full. Normally my car will star in 1 second but when low on gas it can take 3-4 secs. I'm new to cars and I'm just wondering if that can be a sign of problems with my fuel system?

Daniel Smith

Mannyb18b
10-12-2004, 12:30 PM
no problems with your fuel system. Your probly running 87 octane huh

CivicSpoon
10-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Could be a clogged fuel filter. I had that happen to one of my cars and it ended up burning out the fuel pump a few times. When I let it get to near empty it'd bring all the sediment up from the tank into the filter and clog it. This is of course if you're not just using the low octane gas like Mannyb18b said.

GSfrankenstein
10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Could be a clogged fuel filter. I had that happen to one of my cars and it ended up burning out the fuel pump a few times. When I let it get to near empty it'd bring all the sediment up from the tank into the filter and clog it. This is of course if you're not just using the low octane gas like Mannyb18b said.

spoon uses secret fuel pumps that are able to be burnt out more than one time. where do u get these fuel pumps and how much do they cost?

danielsmi
10-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Nope I'm using 93. That's what I thought might be happening how does that crap get in you gas tank to begin with?

I guess I'll go get the fuel filter changed, that isn't something that I a newbie can do is it or should I take it to a mechanic. It's not as simple as an air filter is it?

Daniel Smith

GSfrankenstein
10-12-2004, 03:44 PM
it requires very advanced mechanical skills

-PeterParker-
10-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Does it rain much where your from? If so, you could leave your gas tank open on rainy days. this will allow the water to clean out your system. Don't forget to shut it before you operate the vehicle though. If anyone knows a better method, please tell me.

CivicSpoon
10-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Nope I'm using 93. That's what I thought might be happening how does that crap get in you gas tank to begin with?

I guess I'll go get the fuel filter changed, that isn't something that I a newbie can do is it or should I take it to a mechanic. It's not as simple as an air filter is it?

Daniel Smith
You could get that crap in your tank from pumping gas from a sketchy station. I know I used to hear horror stories about the place I used to get gas from, about them leaving their tanks open where the wind would blow dirt and leaves in. Went thru 3 fuel pumps that way, not very cheap at all.
You could try doing it yourself, depends on how much you trust yourself. It's a little harder than the air filter; I don't think anything is easier than changing the air filter. Here's a pic from a manual on how to do it, I'd recommend picking up some kind of car manual (the Helms is a good one): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/CivicSpoon/FuelFilter.jpg

danielsmi
10-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Why yes peter parker it does rain in fact I've been through three hurricanes in the past 2 months. I think when the next cat 3 comes through I'll leave my gas tank open and let the rain come and clean my car using the power of mother nature. Especially when the rain comes in sideways it will go right in my gas tank very easily. LOL no wonder you got banned are you another incarnation of lsfrankie or just his friend.

Daniel Smith

danielsmi
10-12-2004, 06:07 PM
it's a new car at least for me so I don't know where they've gotten they're gas from the past 80k mi but that pic you posted says it should be changed every 60k and that may not have happened so that could be the problem. It doesn't look very labor intensive but I don't think I should do it. How would it cost to get it changed?

Daniel Smith

integralover
10-13-2004, 01:06 AM
it could be that your fuel filter is kinda dirty or crap at the bottom of the tank. or haveyou thought about this? whe you have a bottle filled with liquid, it is alot easier to put it under pressure when it's almost full then when its almost empty. since the fuel uses fuel pessure to help get fuel to the injectors and it being almost empty, it's harder to keep the fuel pressure up when the car is off. now the last one im just contemplating on. so its just a guess.

integralover
10-13-2004, 01:13 AM
oh and it would be better to run 93 octane if you can. i know it's more expensive but, it is a cleaner fuel and studies have shown that the cost per gallon per mile almost evens out. yes you can gain milage by using 93. or premium. not much though. and if you do the math $2.20 a gallon =$26.40 for a tank of premium versus at $2 a gallon =$24 for regular. so for a 12 gallon tank you are only spending $1.40 more per tank. yes per tank for the better gas.for most of us that is a tank a week. i can fork over the extra $1.40. well these are the prices in north florida

Add your comment to this topic!