Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Kicker L5 amp?

AndonD454
10-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Hey I was hoping somebody could help me out with an issue im having. I just spent a few hundred bucks on new Kicker L5 solo-barics, and after i build my box this weekend im going to need an amp. I bought the dual two ohm subs so ive pertty much decided on a mono amp. However, it is very hard to find a reasonably priced mono amp that runs at 1200 rms @ 2 ohms (since the subs are 600 rms each). I found a boss 1500 rms amp on ebay for a good price, but i know some people no not suggest buying small name amps. If i were to buy this amp, i would have plenty of power, but i would also have to buy a capacitor and 200 amp wiring kit ($$$). My next thought was to see what other amps i could find. I found an Audiobahn 800 rms amp and a sony 900 rms amp. i would rather buy the audiobahn because of the quality over the sony, but im afraid that 400 rms to each sub would not give me the results i want from nice subwoofers (which is why i also looked at the sony, which gave me about 50 more watts per sub) even still would 800 - 900 watts be enough to give me good enough results from my new subs? would it be better to go with the audiobahn over the sony just for quality? would my original boss amp plan be worth spending the money for, or should i forget all of these suggestions and spend whatever money it takes to get a quality amp around 1200 rms (keep in mind im a teen and pretty much dont have much money left so this option would make me have to save much more money)? i would appreciate it greatly if somebody could help me out because i dont know enough. thank you.

superman0604
10-12-2004, 02:31 PM
The mtx thunder 1501d puts out 1500 watts rms at 2 ohm. I have head some good things about them but I have never had one.

pac4eva5
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
is it a possibility to take them back and get dual 4 ohm?

CBFryman
10-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Hey I was hoping somebody could help me out with an issue im having. I just spent a few hundred bucks on new Kicker L5 solo-barics, and after i build my box this weekend im going to need an amp. I bought the dual two ohm subs so ive pertty much decided on a mono amp. However, it is very hard to find a reasonably priced mono amp that runs at 1200 rms @ 2 ohms (since the subs are 600 rms each). I found a boss 1500 rms amp on ebay for a good price, but i know some people no not suggest buying small name amps. If i were to buy this amp, i would have plenty of power, but i would also have to buy a capacitor and 200 amp wiring kit ($$$). My next thought was to see what other amps i could find. I found an Audiobahn 800 rms amp and a sony 900 rms amp. i would rather buy the audiobahn because of the quality over the sony, but im afraid that 400 rms to each sub would not give me the results i want from nice subwoofers (which is why i also looked at the sony, which gave me about 50 more watts per sub) even still would 800 - 900 watts be enough to give me good enough results from my new subs? would it be better to go with the audiobahn over the sony just for quality? would my original boss amp plan be worth spending the money for, or should i forget all of these suggestions and spend whatever money it takes to get a quality amp around 1200 rms (keep in mind im a teen and pretty much dont have much money left so this option would make me have to save much more money)? i would appreciate it greatly if somebody could help me out because i dont know enough. thank you.

1-the difference between 800w and 1200w is about 1.5dB.... and since you can loose 1.5dB one the improper wire size (in extreme cases) and 1dB is the smallest change the human ear can detect i doubt it will seem like all that large of a difference. but the amps yo uare talking about do not put out what they are rated to with out clipping or huge ammounts of harmonic distortion. the best amp i see there is the audiobahn amp, and audiobahn isnt all that great of an amp.

2-CAPS ARE WORTHLESS...incase i did not get this through everyones puney little minds.. CAPS ARE WORTHLESS...you will be better off spending that $90 on an extra battery or towards a new alternator. caps store electrons...all caps give some extra resistance. if you're storing electrons going back to the battery (for thoes who odnt know electricity flows from negative to positive) then all you are doing is helping other accesories SLIGHTLY, but not enough to spend $90 on. you are, however, creating more resistance for electrons flowing through the amp. so as i said before..CAPS ARE WORTHLESS...

3-200amp wireing kit? your 1500w amp wont pull that much and why do people buy "kits?" i mean all yo uget is some 0 or 00 guage red and black wire and a couple of fuses, maybe some mounting hardware. and at most some cheap RCA cables and speaker wire... instead of buying a $50 wireing kit go down to wal-mart and buy some speaker wire and RCA cables and some fuses (or make your own...ive done that and they have sounded better then radioshack RCA cables and cost me half as much) then go to Lowes or Home depot and get some heavy guage wire, then go to a local audio store and get some distribution blocks (if you are going to need them) and your done...and it iwll cost you 30-40 instead of 50-60....

4-have you looked at Hifonics amps....what is your pricerange...we can hook you up...

AndonD454
10-12-2004, 08:46 PM
im thinking about spending like 200 maybe 250 on an amp and i just bought wiring stuff but i ended up with an 80 amp fuse so that kinda limits me to about 1000 rms.. but im pretty much keeping these subs so pac4eva i dotn knwo if i want to do that.. but yeah id would be great if someone could help me find a good mono amp about 1000 rms for about 200 or 250.. but i dont want to spend more than 300.. i hate to be a cheapass but im really strapped for cash.. any help would be great

Add your comment to this topic!