Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Ram Transmission

jerbuggs
10-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Perhaps someone could shed a little light. I have a 98 Ram Quad 3500 Dually. It seems after the truck has warmed up, I'll get the 'check engin' light coming on, and at different speeds, the transmission decides to shift up and then down. At times it shifts up and down without the check engin light coming on. Just had the transmission serviced 9 Oct. Tech said nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Had Auto Zone use a meter to check the error codes. There are no codes showing. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

imtheoneandonlyD
10-11-2004, 11:20 PM
my tranny was acting funny, such as slippin out of gear (automatic trans) when sitting and then when i went to go it would rev up then catch and jerk forward....took it in today and there was a cut in the trans fluid line so the tranny wasnt gettin enough fluid and caused it to miss shift. fixed the line, runs perfect now

brent6482003
10-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Im wanting to lift and add power to my 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.2L Manual 5 Speed. Im wondering which options would be best since funds are alittle low. 3-5" Lift/clear 35's? and need more power. I have added a flow master dual exhaust system which sounds great and has added pep.
Any suggestions on a hyper-chip,programmer,etc.
Thanks,
Brent

BMO
10-16-2004, 10:09 PM
I had the same problem with a 99 diesel .Problem was" electrical noise" Many thing can cause this.The trans uses low voltage( very low)the slightest deviations can cause shifting problems.Sometimes its a bad ground .Mine was a Exhaust brake connected to the ECM. Once I disconnected it all was fine.A good place to get excellent help on this is at " Diesel Ram Forums" or "Turbo Diesel Register" If its a Diesel.

thejacobhartman
10-16-2004, 10:14 PM
i've seen the same prob on my fathers with a trans cooler up front, it was a ll mangled and just wasn't getting enough fluid through it. replaced it and worked fine.

Add your comment to this topic!