Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 LeSabre Leaking Brake Fluid

sega
10-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Apparently my car is slowly, and I mean very very slowly, leaking brake fluid out of its passenger rear tire. I was wondering if this is probably the line itself or what? I also wondered how much a line would cost to replace?

yogi_123rd
10-11-2004, 06:33 PM
More than likely, it's a leaking wheel cylinder and not the line. The wheel cylinder part costs about $15, but the leaking fluid may have contaminated your brake shoes and which would require the brake shoes to be replaced.

If it were a line leaking, it would drip from under the car rather than from within the wheel. Usually the fix is to cut out the old rusty line and splice a new section of line as needed. The new line is cheap, and the total cost is almost all labor.

I would guess at todays mechanics rates the brake job/wheel cylinder would be about $250. The brake line repair I'd guess at $125

sega
10-13-2004, 05:50 PM
thanks for the info.

apparently theres a spot on the line thats rusted out.

I know people who can fix the line, im just not sure where to get the line. do parts places sell just sections of line to splice onto your old line?

conan7
10-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Just go to an auto parts store and buy the length you need.
There is a screw off bolt on both ends of the line. Eg. from the wheel cylinder there is a bolt to just before the master cylinder is a bolt. Unscrew both bolts and add your line in. Your new line will come with two bolts (screw caps??) you just need to bend the line to fit your car. and then screw it back on.

I'm not good at explaining but this is a very easy job.

Add your comment to this topic!