Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo problem...

fizzledee
10-11-2004, 01:14 AM
Ok guys, gotta problem here. I was hoping someone can help me out. Here's what I got...

92 Rodeo, 4WD, 3.1 engine...

The engine cranks, but won't run.
No fuel comes out of the injectors.
With ignition on, no fuel pressure on the gauge.
Crank engine with 13psi on gauge
How do i check if the pressure regulator is working?
How do I check the fuel pressure on the throttle body injector?
Why is the fuel nozzle not putting out fuel?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated!!

tomlcollins
10-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Sounds like your fuel pump is done. Check the wiring/relay for it just to be on the safe side, however, before you go replacing it.

2eyefishclaw
10-11-2004, 09:32 PM
is it firing? ifnot you may have problem under the dist. cap in the crank sensor/ignition module

91 Rodeo
10-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Seems I have a similar problem with my 1991 Rodeo with the 3.1. I bypassed the connector at the back of the car and the pump runs and flows plenty of gas, but still won't run. It appears my injectors are not firing, or I have a regulator problem. I replaced the fuel filter, but still nothing. What did you find out?

Thanks,

Bill

Cat Fuzz
10-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Check for spark before you go looking for fuel issues.

EDIT: Reread your post, nevermind. :icon16:

91 Rodeo
10-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Spark is fine, starts right up if I pour a little gas past the TB. It just won't stay running. I will try a couple of other items today.
Bill

91 Rodeo
10-31-2004, 04:04 PM
OK, here is what I learned. The shop said it needed a new pump and both relays, and they would do it for $920.00. I took it home and disconnected the pump and thought hey, before I do this lets hook the pump directly to a battery and see what happens. Well, it worked fine, but the Rodeo still wouldn't run. I then ran the pump and hooked the injectors directly to a 12v supply. They worked fine as well. I went and checked the fuses inside the Rodeo and all were fine except one in the middle row called engine. It was blown. I replaced it and still no fuel, car won't start. In looking at the injectors, I decided to swap the connectors. I tried it again and it works just like new. Must be the shop swapped them, I don't know. Maybe that's why they offered to buy it, before I hauled it away. Anyway good news!!!

surferfletch
10-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Cool. Gotta watch those shops.

mekwilliams
11-24-2004, 02:54 PM
We were not getting fuel through our injectors, found a ground on drivers side of engine compartments, closer to the front, was not connected...fixed that now all is fine

91 Rodeo
11-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Seems my injectors are not firing all the time and the car periodically shuts off. It will eventually start, just not right away. From what I read I see others have the same issue. I know it's not the fuel pump or relays. If I jump the injectors they spray fine. Where did you find this ground that solved your problem?

Thanks,

Bill

91 Rodeo
11-27-2004, 08:58 PM
So after determining that the grounds are OK, and that the pump works fine (by jumping), and the injectors are fine (by jumping) and swapping relays; seems my ignition module went intermittent. The car would run for a few minutes and just stop no matter where I happened to be. Once it stopped, you could crank it until the battery was dead and it wouldn't start. Let it sit for awhile then it would start right up. Pretty frustrating for sure. Last night I just started it and sat in the driveway. Sure enough it just stopped a few minutes later. I noticed that the tach started to jump slighlty before it would die. Today I decided to replace the ignition module. Sure enough all seems to be well. I had it running for more than an hour with no issues. Sure was frustrating to track down though.

Add your comment to this topic!