Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DB9 over SL600 – I don't think so.

LovinDB9
10-11-2004, 01:08 AM
I have (or had) on order for a DB9. When I ordered the car I hadn't seen or driven one but it sure looked good. My order was in production and before it was completed I had to see and drive this car before paying for it. Well, in fine, courteous Aston Martin style they arranged for me to see and drive a DB9 last week.

I don't get it. First of all, their claim that this car is 30% larger than the DB7 from what I can tell is just not true. They claim 4 more inches in the shoulders and that too, I don't see. I am 6'2" and I could not fit into the car without my head hitting the top. The new design of the seats, while pretty, actually make the seat smaller because of the sides. The new power seats are a joke and don't work very well. They say that the front and back both go up and down. They forgot to tell you when you lower the back of the seat for headroom, the front of the seat goes up so your legs hit the steering wheel. It is one of worst power seat configurations I have seen. The SL600 has way more room in every area and dimension and their seat design and power modes are far superior to the DB9.

Also, all the insturmentation looks and is so small. The controls in the center console seem to be designed for the Munchkins from the Wizard of Oz. Try reading the letters and numbers on the controls. Not going to happen so you better have a good memory. The GPS unit, well, its a joke and not worth even mentioning.

Pretty car, yes. Technically sound, yes. Great sounding engine, absolutley. BUT comparing both cars overall, I cancelled my DB9 order and went back to Mercedes and ordered a new SL600.

The SL600 drive is more powerful. The interior on the SL600 is as nice if not nicer than the DB9. It is certainly more practical and everything flows together. It has all the bells and whistles which the DB9 is sadly missing. I mean, for that kind of money, the DB9 has no bells and whistles. Hey, they said it was a GT so don't tell me it shouldn't have at least an outside air temperature gauge. I know the DB7 had one but I guess they ran out of space or money in the DB9.

Then, there is the center console storage area that I was told about. Don't count on it. The center armrest cover does not open so you better find a place to store your garage door openers because there are no automatic openers in the DB9 either.

This was suppose to be a touring car and I am afraid I don't see it that way. If, in the alternative they are wrong and it really is a performance car, then it falls short of its high performance competition.

The SL600 is much faster, much smoother and equally as responsive. It is also a hard top convertable so you get a Coupe and Volante all in one.

I guess my login name will have to change because ladies and gentleman, I don't get what all the fuss is about this DB9.

If I was designing a car and then building a factory to manufacture it, I would have done things alot differently. But then again, I don't make cars for a living.

Like I said, DB9 over the SL600, NO CHANCE for me!

finally_retired
10-11-2004, 09:43 AM
As an owner of a DB9, and an SL (previously had an SL600 before the 65) I can see what you mean. I drive my SL more than the DB because of the comfort factor. Like you say, I can just never seem to get the seat in the right position. My wife uses the DB9 almost on a daily basis, and the car is great for her, but I am 5'11", and I fill the cabin of the aston.

I cant blame you for your decision, but even as an avid liftime fan of the Mercedes SL, that the Aston is still the more beautiful car.

Add your comment to this topic!