Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 S10 Blazer: mystery wire under center console?

dirgotronix
10-11-2004, 12:09 AM
So I was cleaning out my blazer today, and adding some wiring from my power inverter to an extension cord ending in the center console (storage between the seats.)

I took the whole thing off because it looked like it could use some cleaning, and I noticed a mystery wire underneat the front of it. It's a 10-wire bundle, with different colored wires, within a black casing. The wires were cut, like it had a connector on it at some point.

It comes out of the carpet at the front of where the center console mounts, and is long enough to go 3/4 of the way to the back of it, so about 2ft long from where it comes out of the carpet.

I went to the library and checked wiring diagrams and takedown manuals and couldn't find anything referencing something that might connect via the center console, so I figured I'd ask here.

The blazer is 2WD, no ABS, no alarm. There is no light or electronics within the center console. I installed the sound system myself, and this wire is not part of it. Again, it's a 10 conductor wire, no connector, coming out underneath the center console, and it stays under the center console. I wouldn't have known it even existed had I never pulled the whole thing off.

Any ideas what this wire might be? Is there some kind of electronic device that's optional that plugs into the center console? Any clues?

Thanks!

OverBoardProject
10-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Your Owners manual should list all the options, however my guess is that some former owner had either an alarm, or a stereo power amp installed under there.

movin2stereo
10-11-2004, 05:26 AM
It was the factory wire harness that went from the stereo to the cassette player.

dirgotronix
10-11-2004, 03:05 PM
It was the factory wire harness that went from the stereo to the cassette player.

Yea, but under the armrest? And that would still only need three wires for sound and two for power. That's five extra wires unaccounted for.

dirgotronix
10-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Your Owners manual should list all the options, however my guess is that some former owner had either an alarm, or a stereo power amp installed under there.

The previous owner didn't do anything to it, and the owner before that was the original owner, who also didn't do anything. I'm a stereo installer myself, and there's no chance in hell wires that small of guage would handle any kind of power for an amp. They look to be 20-22guage conductors. The wiring to the amp that I have in there currently is 8 guage.

I haven't noticed anything in the owner's manual for this either. For those of you with blazers from say 88-96, I'm talking about the armrest between the driver and passenger seat, that flips up with a locking compartment. In the very front of this piece is a small place to put stuff (I put my ipod there, for example) and this piece is removable. Underneath it are two of the screws that you need to remove the whole fixture, as well as a slot for wiring. Directly inbetween the two screws, underneath the fixture, is where the wiring comes out of the carpeting. It's professionally cut (into a flap) so it looks like it was done in the factory, and there's gotta be something that replaces that little square cup thing that I put my ipod into that is electronic.

I'll take a picture today and upload it tonight so I can clarify what I'm talking about.

dirgotronix
10-11-2004, 08:38 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/501/243400blazer_mysterywire.jpg

This collage ought to describe what I'm talking about.

Any clues?

Just to clarify, the wire coming down from the top in the top two images is the line in to my stereo, not the wire in question.

ponchonutty
10-12-2004, 04:15 PM
That sure looks like a sheilded cable from something like a CD changer or XM Stereo.

dirgotronix
10-12-2004, 08:01 PM
CD changers didn't exist in 1991. Neither did XM.

This is not an aftermarket wire. It was installed in the factory.

Oh, on a more curious note, my truck (including the wire) comes from outer space, or the future, or something.

purchase date: 6/1990
engine date: 1991
body date: 1992
vin check: 1991

the purchase date against the vin i can see, 'next year's' model, they do that all the time. but the body being manufactured in 1992 on a 1991 blazer purchased in 1990 is a little on the weird side.

ponchonutty
10-13-2004, 05:54 AM
Actually, CD changers were availible on the Tahoe edition S-10 lines. Also, I didn't mean that it was a factory wire. I had a few S-10's and had the same center console as you but there were no wires under there. The one I pretty much gutted to install a stereo and I put an amp inside under the console.

Yes, sometimes the dates don't always match because of things being made at different times but there is no way that your purchase date should read what it does. Someone must have made a typo.

dirgotronix
10-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Actually, CD changers were availible on the Tahoe edition S-10 lines. Also, I didn't mean that it was a factory wire. I had a few S-10's and had the same center console as you but there were no wires under there. The one I pretty much gutted to install a stereo and I put an amp inside under the console.

Yes, sometimes the dates don't always match because of things being made at different times but there is no way that your purchase date should read what it does. Someone must have made a typo.

no typo on the purchase date. it's printed in the original GM warranty booklet that came with the manual and the service schedule book. I also have the original registration (from california) for the original owner (it was in the manual packet.) original purchase slip shows 10 miles at date of purchase, this thing wasn't even taken for a test drive.

movin2stereo
10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
I was thinking of the newer model s10.

Dime's Driver
10-22-2004, 09:38 AM
<---- :screwy: I was reading your post and I thought it was your seatbelt wires or something, but I couldn't see the pictures till I signed in... :banghead: LOL. :rofl:

dirgotronix
10-22-2004, 12:33 PM
it's not the seatbelt wires. those are in a different place in the carpet and they work fine. (BZZZZZZZZZZZ SEATBELT SEATBELT OH GOD PUT ON YOUR SEATBELT BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)

96Civ
10-22-2004, 03:21 PM
The only thing you can do is figure out where it goes. Why are you looking at this end? Go find the other end!!!

dirgotronix
10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
As that is probably the only solution, now all I need is the time to do so.

Damn you, work! DAMN YOU AND ALL YOUR TIME CONSUMINGNESS!

quaddriver
10-22-2004, 08:27 PM
So I was cleaning out my blazer today, and adding some wiring from my power inverter to an extension cord ending in the center console (storage between the seats.)

I took the whole thing off because it looked like it could use some cleaning, and I noticed a mystery wire underneat the front of it. It's a 10-wire bundle, with different colored wires, within a black casing. The wires were cut, like it had a connector on it at some point.

It comes out of the carpet at the front of where the center console mounts, and is long enough to go 3/4 of the way to the back of it, so about 2ft long from where it comes out of the carpet.

I went to the library and checked wiring diagrams and takedown manuals and couldn't find anything referencing something that might connect via the center console, so I figured I'd ask here.

The blazer is 2WD, no ABS, no alarm. There is no light or electronics within the center console. I installed the sound system myself, and this wire is not part of it. Again, it's a 10 conductor wire, no connector, coming out underneath the center console, and it stays under the center console. I wouldn't have known it even existed had I never pulled the whole thing off.

Any ideas what this wire might be? Is there some kind of electronic device that's optional that plugs into the center console? Any clues?

Thanks!

oh cool, you still have your harness....its part of an elaborate antitheft device. when hooked up to relays and switches, you hit a button on a remote and it sprays the interior of the vehicle with gasoline, rolls up the windows, locks the doors and ignites. Its really cool to watch.

96Civ
10-22-2004, 08:49 PM
oh cool, you still have your harness....its part of an elaborate antitheft device. when hooked up to relays and switches, you hit a button on a remote and it sprays the interior of the vehicle with gasoline, rolls up the windows, locks the doors and ignites. Its really cool to watch.

Which is not really helpful when you accidently hit the button when trying to unlock your doors from the inside. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/naughty.gif Thats why it was only in production for a few days.. so THATS the answer for that mistery. :lol2:

ponchonutty
10-23-2004, 09:37 AM
I am still saying it is some sort of aftermarket item. I have worked on too many S-10 of and around that year to know. Many of which were gutted and customized. There is no way that is anything OEM. I think it was some sort of DIN cable for an old cell phone, cd changer, or something like that.

uummm
11-20-2004, 07:37 PM
you said that you dont have 4X4, maybe its something to do with a 4X4 transmission that isnt needed in that car, as far as i know, the little change tray you use for your ipod never came as anything different as an option, as a matter of fact, the locking center console is an option, other than the transmission thing, i cant think of anything else

Chebby
05-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Perhaps a mobile phone hookup? May explain the shielded cable and small wire gauge.

OverBoardProject
05-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Mobile phones had big wires. They almost looked like 10 gauge on the outside.

jackass#1
05-22-2005, 08:13 AM
i have a 91 s10 blazer 4.3. i took out my console to have a look and to clean it, and there is no wire in mine. so it was something aftermarket. unless someone took it and the drivers seat out and somehow pinned the seatbelt indicator wire under the console by misstake when they put it back in. just another off the wall thought.

crazycory1
05-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I have a 93 thats fully loaded and completely took the interior apart and put it back together. No cable there. I worked on many s10s they didn't have that cable either. There is no way that it is factory. Look at were its coming out of, the change tray? Think about it.

balls_to_the_wall
05-27-2005, 10:40 PM
That is about the right size for a network cable, but it has to many wires, and they usually arent shielded (unless you get STP instead of UTP)....wich it still has to many wires for that. Hmm, that is very interesting

Later

-Ryan

balls_to_the_wall
05-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Why was this tread resurected?

OverBoardProject
05-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Why was this tread resurected?

Do'no, It's a newby that brought it back up, so he might have been bored and reading back aways. Or found it on a search.

Could a former owner have run some performance applications on your truck?
If so he might have wired it in for a laptop hookup

Add your comment to this topic!