2004 Yukon problems

261shepgap
10-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Mine has the 5.3 L engine, 4 wd, 2500 miles.

Loud annoying popping noise from muffler or exhause, like a real loud muffler cool down noise.

When I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right there is a loud click noise at the end of the turn.

There is "play" in the rear end. Slight clunk noise.

when I let off the gas and then go on it again, there is a vibration or a "shudder"

Does anyone else have these problems? The bang noise from the exhause is driving me nuts.

tonytone
10-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Do you hear the popping only after you've turned off the engine? If so, then unfortunately it's a common occurence among GM's NBS full-size SUV line...

The clicking that you are talking about--does it sound like it's coming from the steering wheel (column) itself, or is the sound coming from up front? I ask because I get a clicking noise after I turn the steering wheel full lock.

The other issues you mention--I haven't had them on mine...yet. But then, mine is a Denali so that may be why I haven't had the same drivetrain symptoms.

261shepgap
10-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the response. I hear the muffler popping noise when I shut the car off and also when I am stopped at a light.
The steering wheel click is at the ends of right and left all the way turns and it is in the column near the dash.

tonytone
10-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Okay, sounds just like what I have--I'd wait until the next time you have to take your truck in for service to have them take a look...unless that popping noise bugs you so much that you have to get it resolved.

261shepgap
10-13-2004, 11:30 PM
I found thesecomments on another thread on this web site about the same problem with the GMC Yukon exhaust:
---------------------------

Looks like there is a known problem with the ping noise:

Make : GMC
Model : YUKON
Year : 2004
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Num : 030605008
Date of Bulletin: NOV 01, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10005576
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM
Summary:
ADVANCE SERVICE INFORMATION - EXHAUST SYSTEM POPPING/SNAPPING NOISE WHEN
VEHICLE IS HOT, AT IDLE OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER VEHICLE IS SHUT OFF.

---------------------------------------

bpnsd
Let me throw you guys a bone. I work at a GMC dealer and the only way to fix this concern is to replaced the exhaust. GM has authorized the use of Corsa a/m exhaust to correct this concern. I have not heard of any correction being made thru the use of straps or shields.(there was another exhaust concern corrected with straps). Ask your dealer abot Corsa exhaust. They should be anxious to install this since it adds to their gross.

rzkz8k
10-14-2004, 10:54 AM
It is important to note that this bulletin, and I quote, "This Bulletin DOES NOT APPLY to 4.8L, 5.3L or 8.1L vehicles at this time."

I have the 5.3L, does the Corsa exhaust apply to me?

thanks
Bob

GdubMc
10-16-2004, 01:34 AM
Mine has the 5.3 L engine, 4 wd, 2500 miles.

Loud annoying popping noise from muffler or exhause, like a real loud muffler cool down noise.

When I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right there is a loud click noise at the end of the turn.

There is "play" in the rear end. Slight clunk noise.

when I let off the gas and then go on it again, there is a vibration or a "shudder"

Does anyone else have these problems? The bang noise from the exhause is driving me nuts.

New to the forum here, but yeh I got a 04 yukon 4.8L and I had the same poppig noise coming from the exhaust and the clicking thingy from the steering.
I've now noticed the exhaust popping no longer occurs(after 12k miles). It used to pop for like 10 minutes after motor was turned off and while idling and now it doesn't, maybe the muffler or heat shield underneath needed to go through it's hot/cool phases until broken in?
Also the steering click only occurs on the maxed out right or left steering rotations. I do alot of parallel parking and I hear it all the time,it sounds like I am hitting the cars in front and behind me as I'm parking, plan on finding out on next dealer visit.

merci235
10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I also had the popping noise when I turned right or left. Took it to the dealer and they said some bar under the front was in a bind so they adjusted it and I have no more noise.

Add your comment to this topic!