Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

squealing noise from belt?

jaysheard
10-10-2004, 11:32 AM
i've recently had a problem with a squealing noise which sounds like its coming from the belt or the pulley. 1987 Pickup 22R-E, 5 spd. When i start my truck the voltmeter shows about 9-10 volts, and when i pull out of my driveway and accelerate, i will hear a squealing noise from the belt area, and my voltage will increase to when it is supposed to be 14 volts or so. I will notice that once i shut it down, and start it back up again, my voltage is low again, until i accelerate again. My voltage will not change any other time. I checked my battery with an ohmmeter, and it shows exactly what im getting on my gauge(voltmeter). I replaced my battery about 7 months ago, along with the a reman. alternator. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the battery itself, which is crap from what i've heard(canadian tire battery)lol, or my voltage regulator located next to the starter relay on the passenger side fender in the engine compartment. If anybody has had this problem or has some input, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay

modification_inc
10-10-2004, 02:51 PM
check the alternator belt and make sure it isnt lose

jaysheard
11-10-2004, 11:27 AM
well i figured out that with a lil time looking into it, that my belt is actually quite loose, so now i've diagnosed the problem. But i have another one, i've only had this belt for about 4 months, and my alternator replaced about a year ago by Goodyear Auto Service. What bothers me is that i went to go and loosen the bolt and lockin nut on the swingarm to tighten it. And behold, no locking nut??? Plus, it looks as though they re-used the same bolts as installed on the old alternator, so there rusted out quite a bit, and also rounded out, so the 1/2" socket slips everytime i turn my ratchet. My question however is that i cannot loosen the bolt attached to the swingarm. Is there an easy way to get this bolt outa there? Possibly drill into the center of it, and pry it out? ANy suggestions will be greatly appreciated, the squealing seems to be getting louder, and getting really annoying.

Thanks guys,

Jay

jaysheard
11-11-2004, 12:22 PM
good news!, the belt was indeed the problem. After draining removing the rad, fan, clutch, i could not get the adjusting bolt loosened on the alternator, so i took all those parts off just mentioned and i removed the first belt to get at the second one. I removed the water pump pulley instead, removed the old belt, and low and behold, i found out why the belt was sqeualing so much. Four teeth on the v-belt were torn off!!! I couldnt believe it but it's not impossible. Anyway, thanks for all suggestions guys.

Jay

Add your comment to this topic!