Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can you add a 2nd battery to the Tahoe?

pglein
10-10-2004, 09:54 AM
My 99 clearly has a little platform for installing a 2nd battery, but there is no wiring. If, say, I wanted to install a 2nd battery, is there some sort of kit available? I'm not totally sure that I need it, but since I spend a fair amount of time on Forrest Service roads, miles from the nearest "jump" I could see where it could come in handy. Also, I frequently camp in the back of my rig, and so I can see the value of a "house" and "starter" setup, much like my boat.

Accord_boy619
10-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Theres a couple of ways in doin this. The way its done on the Hoe's w/diesel n on HD's /diesel is, The Batt. on the left Neg is hooked up to the alt n grounded, then the Pos. run to the Pos. on the right batt. then to the fuse box. The Neg on the right batt. is grounded.

The way I hooked up mines is I left the left batt. alone, I hooked up the Pos. of the right batt to an AUX hook up in the fuse box. Then I just grounded the Neg. to the eng block.

what ever you choose both ways your batt will still charge.
OH youl need 2 buy the wires @ autozone or somtin. I'll try 2 take a pic morow 2 hekp u out.

pglein
10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the input, I will look into it. I have kind of thought out a plan to do it myself, but was mainly wondering if there was some sort of kit I should know about.

Accord_boy619
10-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Oh U can go to the dealer but the price wont be right. Sorry bout the pics in kinda busy @ work, maybe this weekend I'll post it since Im goin wheelin.

Add your comment to this topic!