Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wats a goodtruck for daily mud and rough terain driving

blowthedoorsoff
10-09-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm looking to buy a 99 dodge ram sport with 5.9 litre v8, 105 k, toe package, etc.. is it worth it? Wat should i be looking for to see if it is in good shape. I work in the oil field and travel through lots of mud, and rough terrain daily, would this be good for me or does anyone have any other suggestions of a good, solid, powerful vehicle? I just blew up 87 chev.

fanworks
10-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Be sure what you get has a limited-slip rear end, it will help with coping with mud in 4 wheel drive. How much do you haul in your work trucks normally?

fredjacksonsan
10-11-2004, 12:23 PM
I'd say it's a decent choice, Fan's right about the limited slip. Be a maintenance fanatic so it doesn't leave you "out there".

LTJGWorth
10-11-2004, 05:18 PM
The 5.9L engine is almost unbeatable in my opinion. I've driven fords and gms and the 360 ford is nice, and i love the 350 gm, but the 5.9L dodge 360 is awsome. I have had no problems with my 97 5.9. It has awsome power, and if I wanted to, it could have more and handle it. I'd say it's a good choice. But, if you might get stuck in that mud, get the limited slip like fanworks said, or lockers.

imtheoneandonlyD
10-12-2004, 12:08 AM
what exactly does limited slip do? ive heard about it but never in detail.

fredjacksonsan
10-12-2004, 10:00 AM
On a regular or open differential, the tires can spin independently. Like when a car is stuck in the snow, and only one tire is turning. The differential is doing its job, like letting one tire spin faster while going around a corner.

In a limited slip differential, there are clutch packs inside the pumpkin. When one wheel starts turning faster than the other (subject to torque, speed, etc depending on the diff) then the clutch pack will engage and make both wheels turn at the same rate.

There are also locking differentials, controlled by the driver, that totally lock the rear (or even front) wheels so they turn at the same rate; this is for maximum traction & hard core off roading.

LTJGWorth
10-12-2004, 03:26 PM
If you really worried about getting stuck, I would go for the lockers. With a limited slip, it will still slip like a regular diff, it just takes a little longer. With lockers, if you get stuck, you simply lock the diff(s) and drive right out. When your out, you unlock the diff(s) and go on your way.

Add your comment to this topic!