Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Ram 1500 318 stalling

kzinkl
10-09-2004, 08:05 PM
About a month ago while driving in bumper to bumper traffic my Truck stalled on me while going about 25-35mph. After I was able to pull over to the side I was able to restart the engine with no problems. I wrote it off as a one time fluke until today. This time I was slowing down to make a left turn when I realized that the truck stalled again. This time I just shifted into neutral and was able to restart right away. Being that I was early getting back to work and I had left the lights on accidently for 5 1/2 hours I sat in the truck with it running and was able to get it to stall 2 more times. The 1st time I ran the engine up to 4,000 rpm and then slowly let it back down to about 1000rpm over 30ish seconds. At 1,000 I took my foot off the gas and the engine stalled. The 2nd time I just stepped on the gas for a second or two and then let my foot off (about 1,200-1,500rpm) the gas. I then let it run without doing anything so the battery could charge up a little. Then about 2 hours later I came out again started the truck and headed home. Again while slowing to a stop the engine stalled (only on for a minute or two). I once again shifted in to neutral restarted right away and drove home. As I was driving home I was watching the tach. and noticed that each time I took my foot off the gas the engine would drop to about 250RPM and then come back up to 500-750rpm. Once I got on the highway the engine would stay over 1000rpm when I took my foot off the gas. Once I got home I tried to get it to stall again but it would not. At this time I noticed that if I took my foot off the gas with the rpm about 1000 the engine would hold at 1000 for a second before returning to idle.

If it helps I had the wires and plugs changed in the last 8 months and the truck has 120,xxx miles. If any one has any idea what the problem may be please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

LTJGWorth
10-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Well, my immediate answer of something to check is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) which is located on the driver's side of the throttle body. It has a plug going into it and it's held in place with 2 star key bolts. My second answer would be your battery terminals. My truck quit on me 3 times, and wouldn't start twice, and i realized that my positive battery terminal was almost shot. $0.97 at Wal-Mart solved that problem. As for the TPS, it's about $20-$30 at AutoZone. Of course, it could very well be something totally different.

scoutinkeith
10-11-2004, 01:48 PM
TPS could be the problem, however, I think it sounds more like the IAC is sticking. IAC = Idle Air Control, it's located on the back of the throttle body, it's a little plunger thing that controls the amount of air that is let into the engine at idle. when you are driving, the IAC is closed(air is coming in through the throttle blades) when you let off of the gas, the throttle blades close compleatly and the IAC takes over. if it is sticking, it can't open fast eanough and the engine will stall. if you remove the air hat, you should be able to access the IAC. you can pull the IAC off and clean it with some carb cleaner, and that should take care of the problem. just make sure that you do NOT move the plunger part when you have the IAC off, as this may damage the internal parts. also, there is an O-ring that seals the IAC housing to the throttle body, make sure not to loose or damage it.
hope this helps some,
Keith

LTJGWorth
10-11-2004, 05:22 PM
IAC? I need to check mine actually. About a month ago, my truck wouldn't idle and I thought it was the TPS (again, as i had just changed it recently) and i massaged the TPS and everything, and eventually got it working again, and it still does. But if the problem flares back up again, i'll check that. Good advice!

Add your comment to this topic!