Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help, with gluing front lights

GvEman
10-09-2004, 04:11 PM
On the Shelby of mine you are suppose to glue the lights on the body.. As on many other models. Does any one have any tips on how to get them on with out causing huge problems like glue on the glass...?

I was gluing my lights and the first one turned out great! but the second one... I got glue on it.. Not much.. but noticeable.
And now i am really pissed off.. i have putted down allot of work on my cf lights and then the glass looks like crap!

well, well if any one have a tip, post it.

Veyron
10-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Always use 'white glue' which is a water based glue that turns clear once it is dry.

Microscale makes a good glue called Krystal Klear.

If you mess up with it you just wet it and wipe it off.

primera man
10-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Test fiit the parts first to make sure they fit correctly then add a small amount of this glue here (kristal clear) to fix your problem.
It dries clear and wont stuff up the plastic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/1PMan/Kristal_klear.jpg

Vric
10-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I agree.. White glue work very nicely.. I used it on my last 2 project and it was very nice.

Else, you just have to put VERY little amount of glue... the light will be fragile, but will stay in place. This is how practically all my model are done... but if a earthquake happen, I will have about 80 lens to glue again :D

p9o1r1sche
10-09-2004, 05:09 PM
I use clear 5 minute epoxy to attach all clear parts, but you have to be real careful applying a minimum amount only around the rim. I use a sharpened toothpick to apply.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-09-2004, 05:24 PM
I use clear 5 minute epoxy to attach all clear parts, but you have to be real careful applying a minimum amount only around the rim. I use a sharpened toothpick to apply.

I used to use epoxy, but found it can yellow over time. Not bad if it's a French car, bad otherwise! :evillol:

I like Formula 560 canopy glue, very strong, but very forgiving...it's a much thicker/stronger white glue, like Kristal Klear.

mikemechanic
10-09-2004, 05:34 PM
I don't know if you can get Future where you live or one of it's derivitives (sp?). It is a clear acrylic that dries rock hard and clear. I use it as often as I can to glue this kinds of things. Also see the link for other uses. The Complete Future (http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html)

GvEman
10-10-2004, 04:28 AM
okay thanks for the help! When i was gluing my fonrlights i used some kind of superglue.. it was good as long as you putted on a verry smal amount of it on to the part. well well thanks again! i might order that Micro Kristal Klear from sthlm. Cheers!

proosen
10-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Hey Anton!
You could try with ordinary white glue (snickarlim), the stuff carpenters use or "Skollim" will also work. Let me now if you still needs some Kristal Kleer instead of these other one's. I use Kristal Kleer to glue my glass parts with if it's adequate, otherwise I use epoxi if I need a stronger joint. Don't ever use superglue as it most likely will frost the piece glued with it. If you now need a new headlight glass you could always reinforce the damaged part on the back side and form a new one of heated clear styrene over it. I have some clear sheets if you need it, just PM me and let me know.

Niclas

GvEman
10-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Hey Anton!
You could try with ordinary white glue (snickarlim), the stuff carpenters use or "Skollim" will also work. Let me now if you still needs some Kristal Kleer instead of these other one's. I use Kristal Kleer to glue my glass parts with if it's adequate, otherwise I use epoxi if I need a stronger joint. Don't ever use superglue as it most likely will frost the piece glued with it. If you now need a new headlight glass you could always reinforce the damaged part on the back side and form a new one of heated clear styrene over it. I have some clear sheets if you need it, just PM me and let me know.

Niclas

Thanks Niclas!
i have heard about "trälim" but i have not tryed it.
ye.. The glas was not that bad so i just puted it there. it cant be seen that mutch i think... well well.. i might send you and buy me a botle... but not yet.. i have alot of do before i need to glue headlights again;)

Cheers!

Bas Carwash
10-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Got another hint. Make sure the clear part and the place of the joint are free of any kind of dirt. Especially fingerprints. Fingerprints will turn even the clear glue white. I'll get MicroScale Krystal Clear as well, as I still need some waterbased glue. Thanks guys and good luck.

swollen
10-10-2004, 08:43 PM
I use formula 560 canopy glue aswell.

SchuberT
10-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Jewelers' Glue is great. It dries clear, doesn't leave frost, and the tubes of it tend to have a super tiny tiny tiny tip for precision placement.

http://www.beademporium.com/Misc_files/g-shypo.JPG
http://www.beademporium.com/Misc_files/527bond.jpg
http://www.amlap.com/alw/media/08-628.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!