Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Dodge cylinder misfire code

newtododge
10-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey, new to this site, just checking it out. I recently purchased a 98 Dodge 4X4 2 days later, engine light comes on. They say it is a cylinder misfire code, changed the easy stuff first, code still there. Now they have taken the head off, worried about this, any advice from anyone, or anyone have this same thing? Seems pretty new to have this kind of problem. I was a Chevy person, so used to changing stuff like starters, the problem with the Dodge is troublesome. :banghead:

BleedDodge
10-08-2004, 07:46 PM
The intake gaskets are likely blown.

newtododge
10-09-2004, 12:11 AM
The intake gaskets are likely blown.
The shop seems to say the valves are full of carbon and they have sent them to be grinded. Not sure why they would be so bad, it's only a 98, I have a 91 Chev that has never had any motor problems.

LTJGWorth
10-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Well, you can't say that it's because it's a Dodge. Every engine, no matter what year, model, make or even if it's the exact same thing, will run different. I have a 1997 with a 5.9L and it has never had any engine work or problems (changed TPS and water pump [water pump was changed for good measure after battery fell off the tray]). I think that the engines in these things are pretty darn good.

newtododge
10-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Well, you can't say that it's because it's a Dodge. Every engine, no matter what year, model, make or even if it's the exact same thing, will run different. I have a 1997 with a 5.9L and it has never had any engine work or problems (changed TPS and water pump [water pump was changed for good measure after battery fell off the tray]). I think that the engines in these things are pretty darn good.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love Dodges, and like you say, any vehicle can have any problems. Was just wondering about it, since it is pretty intensive work having to be done on a relatively new truck. We are just frustrated since we just bought it, and now the shop has had it longer than us.

excursion-man
10-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey, new to this site, just checking it out. I recently purchased a 98 Dodge 4X4 2 days later, engine light comes on. They say it is a cylinder misfire code, changed the easy stuff first, code still there. Now they have taken the head off, worried about this, any advice from anyone, or anyone have this same thing? Seems pretty new to have this kind of problem. I was a Chevy person, so used to changing stuff like starters, the problem with the Dodge is troublesome. :banghead:

About 1 year ago I bought a 98 dodge 4x4 1500 with 70,000 miles, nothing but trouble since I bought it, the problem you are experiencing is the same as I had, took to 2 different dealers finally found that the Catalytic converter was plugging up, now I am on my 4th one, they can not tell me why it is plugging up, but only that it is. It will run good for 1000 miles, then go out again. If any one has any idea why it is or how to delete this with out any other trouble please let me know. 2 more years the payments will be gone and so Will any chrysler product from my home. FORD ONLY they will last forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excursion-man

newtododge
10-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Sorry you are having troubles, I feel your pain. We finally got our truck back, seems all good now. It seems to have had carbon build up on the valve seats, how it got there is an educated guess. Maybe long idles, who knows. The only advice I can give you, is get rid of the cat, and put in dual exhaust, that way it can't plug up again on you. And it sounds real nice, lol. I have to comment on the ford forever thing, I had 2 fords, will never do that again. They were crap. I think all makes have crap in there somewhere, some of us are just lucky enough to find them. ;-) Good luck to you!

fredjacksonsan
10-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Fords are the only vehicles that ever left me on the road.

newtododge
10-22-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm with you on that one Fred

Add your comment to this topic!