Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Dodge D-150 3pd Automatic Transmission Jerky when decelerating

fanworks
10-08-2004, 06:00 AM
For about 2 days now, when the truck goes over 40 mph and stays at it for a while (Say around 55-60 mph), when I let off the throttle and apply it again, the truck will jerk badly the second time I let off the throttle until the speed drops down to 40mph and lower.

I've checked the transmission fluid and its coming out smelling right, and is the correct color. The dispstick is reading full, though it only reads at all after i've pulled it out once and and then dipped it back in again for a second pull.

fanworks
10-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Problem solved. Bushings and leaf packs in rear are shot, axle movement was the source of jerking. Time to go and get some parts!

fredjacksonsan
10-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Good catch. Might want to check the U-joints also, with all that jerking around (and 1990) they might need some attention.

fanworks
10-09-2004, 04:39 AM
Shop checked the Transmission, u-Joints, differential. All checked out with flying colors. Bushings are gone though, and the leaf springs have no arc to speak of left to them, only thing keeping the truck level is the aftermarket overload coil springs bolted on the axle that the frame rests on. She'd probably sit lower than she already does otherwise. But, not as suprised as I should be, back in April spent about $500 to have the ball joints and coil springs replaced on the front end. At least I can do the rear leaf packs myself.

fredjacksonsan
10-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Sweet. Sounds like a good ole truck, some re-arcing and adding a leaf, you'll be back on the road.

Add your comment to this topic!