Key removal

tracker tom
10-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Hard to remove ignition key.Have to SLAM transmission into park several times to remove key. HELP,tom.

ggcatt
10-08-2004, 01:16 PM
I've not done this, but if I remember right there is an adjustment slot beside the transmission shifter, on the drivers side I believe. Have a look there, and at your manual. It describes how to adjust, or at least release, the mechanism for easier key removal.

kevinv
08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
I would be interested in how you made out . I am a locksmith and have incountered this problem before . Gm has a ignition repair kit availble . Part # 91176917 . It is a problem with the transmission interlock . The job should be done by a locksmith with car lock experience . The lock is in a sealed housing and you must have some knowledge on how to take it apart. The kit sells for about $30.00 , My local dealer has been replacing these ignitions at $600.00 a pop. If there is away to adjust the problem I would like to hear more . Thanks Kevin / N.S.

rpjones7
04-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I had the same problem. I sprayed wd40 into the key slot. It took a while but now my key comes out more easily. I also pushed the car back and forth while in part and that loosened it up. I think it is all tied into the safety lock so if the steering wheel gets moved it locks up the key. I have my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again because I no longer have the strength to push the vehicle.

Add your comment to this topic!