Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

aftermarket stereo

dhammers
10-07-2004, 09:43 PM
I have a 2002 ga with a monsoon. I heard that if you put an aftermarket in it won't work any advice?

Cossack
10-08-2004, 12:37 PM
You can put an aftermarket stereo in, what they would have to do is take the old one out and re-wire it and mount it elsewhere. I checked into into it myself for my 03 GA and this is what was said to me. The reason behind this is because there are certain sensors located and wired to the stock stereo. The guy I dealt with said I was looking at about 100.00 extra to re-wire and mount it inside the trunk.

nova_gh
10-09-2004, 01:23 PM
i'm curious what kind of sensors are behind the stereo? i have a 99 and the only sensor type thing associated with the stereo is the security lock thing for the stereo if you remove it and try to put it into another vehicle it won't work. I had no problems installing my stereo, i'm not to up-to-date to know exactly what a monsoon is though....

smackattack
10-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Alot of aftermarket replacements will work as long as you hook up the remote wire to the factory amp. A little bid of trial and error and you should be able to get it. Most stero shops carry a wireing harness to convert from factory to aftermarket.

Blksct03
10-19-2004, 11:51 PM
For the 02 and up i know that u have to have the stereo wired in because if the dealer runs a diagnostic it runs thru the stereo and needs to be there other wise the wont get the right fault codes, plus if u put in the after market stereo there is a amp that goes to the stock radio and u many have to get a new amp for ur speakers but that just depends on who instals it for u.

3.4grandam
11-05-2004, 11:49 PM
i put a new cd player and subs into my grand am and it was a b*tch. but wat i did was cut the wire harness off and find wut wires go to wut speakers than connect them to the harness on the cd player. talkin about afro engineering but its been working great since i put it in and that been about 3 months. good luck wit that

shellymlm2
12-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Alot of aftermarket replacements will work as long as you hook up the remote wire to the factory amp. A little bid of trial and error and you should be able to get it. Most stero shops carry a wireing harness to convert from factory to aftermarket.

I have a question about this; we bought an aftermarket Panasonic w/remote, that plays everything and the only thing we were told we needed was the harness but then when we tried to install it we were told that we had to have some adapter for the sensor system - can this be purchased anywhere or does it have to be installed professionally? :shakehead

Add your comment to this topic!