Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RX7 Advice?

SkyDomain
10-07-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Mazda RX-7(92-97) with a automatic gearbox.

What weak spots should I look for?
Is there a buyers guide somewhere on the net?

J-Rat
10-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Weak spot:

Motor likes to pop around 80k miles, and the twin turbo setup likes to take a dump somewhat earlier then that.

drftk1d
10-08-2004, 11:08 PM
uhm automatic?

One question: why?

D3rELiC
10-09-2004, 12:25 AM
uhm automatic?

maybe he lost a foot or a leg at war or something. thats what automatic are for, arnt they ?

SkyDomain
10-09-2004, 10:28 AM
uhm automatic?

Well I my current project car is goingt to be a 1/4 mile and not a track racer, and there is no possible way for a stick shifter to be able to accelerate faster than a well setup automatic. So i'm not talking about a standard automatic but a custom.

For a car with a manual gear box to win over a automatic one is if the car with the manual has much more power.
But if they are equal in power the manual will loose time while shifting, starting etc....

Many say that the people that say this are nuts but the people that say this useally don't have any real facts to back up thier statements.
So if you are going to claim this is wrong you really have to show some facts that a equal power stick shift can beat a custom automatic in a dragrun.

The chocie for the gearbox was either a custom automatic or a sequential box but the automatic was the best economical choice.
The sequential gearbox is the fastest choice but I got to have the money to back it up.

But the car won't be a RX-7 FD cause the engine is far to sensetive for dragracing. I have to look for a good old piston engine car.

drftk1d
10-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Huh? If the car isnt gonna be a FD rx7 then whats the point of lookin for one?

rotaryismychoice
10-18-2004, 06:15 PM
But the car won't be a RX-7 FD cause the engine is far to sensetive for dragracing. I have to look for a good old piston engine car.[/QUOTE]

2 things that dont make any sense:
-1.) engine is too sensitive for drag racing? how about nicely built rotaries hold25 psi! what v8 do you know that can take that much boost?
-2.) you have to look for a "good old piston engine"? WHY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN RX7 THEN?!!!!!!!!

You dont make any sense buddy, sounds like you need to be in a civic. :screwy:

mcs
10-18-2004, 07:21 PM
civic rofl i dont think anybody wants to be in a civic and if you dont love the car dont buy it the rx-7 is a car for people who love the car.

ShortyDTP
10-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Werd!!!!^^^^^

drftk1d
10-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Lets see, automatic drag racer with pistons...

See: Supra, Trans-Am.

Autofreefindersguy
10-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Gotta love an RX-7...BUT...
I test drove a auto trans model once and thought....OMG! I can't beleive how slow it is...

Its not a good matchup for the high reving engine...
As far as how long they last, it depends on the care it has received, I have known of many with over 200K miles and still running strong with no rebuilds and NEVER any Timing belts to replace...:)

Add your comment to this topic!