Wiper malfunction

bigbluesuvv
10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum...this is my first question! I have a 97 Tahoe, and the windshield wipers have on 2 occaisions become stuck in the lower position, leaving the wiper motor buzzing. Both times, I've been able to manually restart the wipers. Is there any way to lubricate the mechanism?

Thanks for any response,
Jeff

BoatCop
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
There was a recall on the wiper motor in Feb '03. TSP #02054.

Contact your local dealer, refer to that number and they should fix it for free. Have your VIN handy, so they can check to make sure it hasn't been fixed before, and is stll included in the recall

bigbluesuvv
10-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the quick response "boatcop"! Now that I think about it, I had heard about the recall some time ago, but since I didn't have the problem I guess I ignored it. Hopefully they will still honor it, as it would be a "bad thing" to get stuck out on the highway with no wipers in a rain/snow storm!

thanks again
Jeff

SWEATBREAD
10-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Need To Replace The Wiper Pulse Module. Its Easy 4 Screws And A $50 Part. The Wiper Pulse Module Was Recalled On Some But Not All Models, The Wiper Motor Would Be A Very!! Uncommon Repair. Module Part # 12463090

bigbluesuvv
10-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Yea, that would make more sense considering the malfunction comes and goes...

hawkmon2004
10-09-2004, 05:54 PM
My problem is similar but I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 4x4. I turn them on and I hear buzzing. They were working intermittantly until last Saturday. Now they aren't working at all. Just buzzing when I turn them on. Any ideas?

gasmith
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
My problem is similar but I have a 1997 GMC Sierra 4x4. I turn them on and I hear buzzing. They were working intermittantly until last Saturday. Now they aren't working at all. Just buzzing when I turn them on. Any ideas?

I had same problem on 1997 Tahoe. I could wiggle the plug into the motor and go from buzzing to working. Trouble is it would keep acting up frequently. Finally I replaced the circuit board which includes the wiring socket and it took care of the problem. Very easy to replace for about $40. I'v heard other suggestions about soldering, etc but would recommend simply buying the new part for $40 and spending 5 minutes to replace it.

erstadmr
07-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Same problem here with my 99 Tahoe. Just when you need them, you rotate the wiper lever and all you hear is buzzing. If you leave them on, pop the hood and give a good wrap to the wiper moter they work. I've taken the front cover off and formed the two contacts that make contact with the rotating wheel and it's worked for over 6 months but like others have said, it needs to be replaced....

nxk2000
07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Most of the time what I have found when this happens is a bad solder joint. If you take the cover off and remove the pulse board follow the metal jumpers from the connector to the board. Inspect these solder joint closely. This is where I have found them to be cracked. All I do is hit it with a soldering iron and it makes a good contact and works great. The way I originally found this was by wiggling the connector with the cover off. It was getting dark and I could see it sparking on the board as the wipers worked and stopped working. I wish I had some pictures to show. Maybe next time I'll get a few.

kupaa
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I have a 03 Tahoe. My rear water spray works but my fronts do not. Does any one know if these pumps are the same one or does the front a rears have different pumps/motors?

Thanks ahead, Nate

Add your comment to this topic!