Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 3.1L V6 Buick Regal

ajscottjr
10-07-2004, 02:24 PM
1990 3.1L V6 Buick Regal

I would like to know where the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is located, and how would I go about taking it off? I know it's on the transmission, but where on the transmission?

ajscottjr

noahnoahc
10-09-2004, 02:43 AM
vss is close to driver firewall, under master cylander and brake lines. A thick purple and Yellow wire and several thinner wires come out of this combo saftey / vss switch

ajscottjr
10-12-2004, 02:31 AM
vss is close to driver firewall, under master cylander and brake lines. A thick purple and Yellow wire and several thinner wires come out of this combo saftey / vss switch

Thanks for the Reply! It must be further down then i expected because I stilll can't see it... The only thing I see is a five prong round connecter on the drivers side near the radiator, and a long black cable connected to the top of the transmission with some sort of round metal protector, around 5 inch's long... I''ll keep looking...

Ajscottjr.

johndmc
10-31-2004, 03:56 PM
I believe what you see as "a long black cable connected to the top of the transmission" is actually the multi-wire cable conduit and the "round metal protector" is the top of the "reverse/neutral safety switch". There should be two connectors that connect it to a bigger cable harness. The way I understand it, the switch is part of the shift mechanism, for an automatic transmission, and provides position signals to the ECM and backup lights, etc. Does anyone know if this switch includes the VSS? Or, is the VSS close by?

Add your comment to this topic!