Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine check back on

tarcher1216
10-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Hello ... I need anyones help on this . Yesterday I took my 2000 Rodeo LS v6 to have the Check engine light code checked. I was told it was the EGR valve. They took it off cleaned with Carb cleaner and reinstalled it re-set the light BUT the light came back on this morning. The same code showed. I think it was 401 or somehting like that. Anyway I did have the fuel injectors cleaned along with the valves last night. Could this cause the same problem again?

The local parts store has a new egr valve for $120. Question is do I spend the money and replace or should I try cleaning it again. I don't drive the rodeo my wife does. She said it ran better this morning. I don't like wasting money and the thought of spending 120 for no reason isn't good.

Please help I'll be checking this site often the rest of today.

THANK YOU

rodeo02
10-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Your EGR plumbing is probably plugged. Nothing to do with the valve itself. This is usually the case for the 1998+ 3.2/3.5 Do an "EGR" search on this forum for cleaning instructions. Really easy to do and a few bucks for a can of intake cleaner is all it takes to do it.
G/luck
Joel

amigo-2k
10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
you need to clean the EGR port (the deal should of done this as part of cleaning the EGR itself).

see the FAQ link below for a how to and photos of the egr port

tarcher1216
10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Thank you for your reply ! The service guy did spray cleaner into the port but I didn't see him use a brush or towel on it. I was thinking since they did clean the valves and fule injection last night could that have loosened debris and cause a blockage?

2eyefishclaw
10-07-2004, 06:02 PM
it is usually the egr valve that sticks because of carbon deposits the pintle needs to be thouroughly cleaned and it needs to be able to be free to move

tarcher1216
10-08-2004, 05:08 AM
it is usually the egr valve that sticks because of carbon deposits the pintle needs to be thouroughly cleaned and it needs to be able to be free to move

Thanks for the reply....:) My wife is the primary driver of the vehicle. I did take off the egr valve last night and cleaned it with a carb cleaner and brush. I did get alot of carbon to come out. By the time I was finished the valve looked brand new from what I could see. I also sprayed the hole where the line comes into the egr valve. I drove the vehicle on the interstate last night varing the speed from stop to up to 80 and at times kicking it into the passing gear. The check engine light did not come back on. I did reset the light by disconnecting the battery durning the cleaning process. I'll let you know if it works or not.

I was told since I did have fuel injection and the valves cleaned it should have cleaned out the passages for the egr valve. Is this correct? I don't know everything there is to know about cars so forgive me if this sounds stupid. :screwy: I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this and fix it.

Thanks for any input

tarcher1216
10-08-2004, 09:36 AM
I spoke with my wife and she indicated that the CEL (Check Engine Light) did not come on during her trip to work this morning. As of matter of fact she mentioned the vehicle drove allot better. No hesitation and she said the knocking was gone. The real test will be tomorrow. We are driving to Michigan from Indiana about a 435 miles round trip. If the light doesn't come on then I know it will be fixed. I'll all of you know when I get back !

Thank you in advance for all your comments and suggestions. This is a GREAT Forum!!!

Cross your Fingers !

Add your comment to this topic!