Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 s-10 fuel odors

thebanq
10-07-2004, 09:37 AM
i have a 94 s-10, 4 cylinder fuel injection, and it has develpoed a rather strong fuel odor, wondering if anyone else has experienced, doesnt seem to have effected performance, but mileage is defitely off, no noticable leaks, in the engine compartment or from the tank and/or lines

captain1
10-08-2004, 11:11 AM
bang,

By no means an expert here, I was reading through my Haynes manual and I found something You described. Here's what it says:

1 Evaporative emissions control system: The function of the evaporative emissions control system is to draw fuel vapors from the gas tank and fuel system, store them in a charcoal canister and then burn them during normal engine operation. 2 The most common symptom of a fault in the evaporative emissions system is a strong fuel odor in the engine compartment. If a fuel odor is detected, inspect the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is mounted on a bracket above the rear axle and behind the gas tank on pick-up models. On sport-utility models, it's located in the quarter panel area behind the left rear wheel. Check the canister and all hoses for damage and deterioration.

Hope this helps!

the Capt.

thebanq
10-08-2004, 02:31 PM
i have a haynes manual, but guess i didnt read what u read, will check the cannidter for sure, many thx!!!

captain1
10-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Look on page 1-24 under section 36...I just happened to run across that--wasn't looking for it!

SWEATBREAD
10-08-2004, 07:47 PM
YES, THIS IS A COMMON GM 2.2 4CYL ISSUE.
ONE ARE MORE FUEL INJECTORS IS LEAKING. LOOK AT THE FUEL RAIL. YOU WILL FIND 4 FUEL INJECTORS ( THAT HAVE BLACK PLASTIC TOPS). ONE ARE MORE INJECTORS WILL APPEAR WET. IT ONLY TAKES A SMALL LEAK TO ALLOW FUEL SMEEL. TO REPLACE THE LEAKING INJECTOR REMOVE THE SNAP RING CLIP THAT HOLDS IT IN PLACE AND PRY THE INJECTOR OUT OF THE FUEL RAIL. FOR BETTER STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS EMAIL ME AND I WILL RESPOND WITH A COPY OF GM TECHNCIANS RPEAIR INFORMATION. AGGIELANDAUTOMOTIVE@MSN.COM

deanziegler
10-25-2004, 07:06 AM
i have a 95 s10 2.2 with this exact same prob #4 injector is all wet and leaking on top at plug . problem is i have no idea how to get it out and if i need to replace the injector or just prelace seals or something of the like. If anyone can tell me or send me instuctions or help on what seps i need to take to get this injector out and how to replace or reseal it it would be GREATLY appreciated. i am quite capable of doing this i just need to know how to physically get it out ( is it a snap rign and pry it out or do i need to junk the top of the motor ,, intake, ie to remove what looks like a rail covering all four injectors???? i need the steps to get to it.. Again thanks so much for any help

Add your comment to this topic!