Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1986 GMC Vandura Transmission

p0c0q
10-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Hello and thanks in advance for any help received.

We just bought a 1986 GMC Vandura Conversion Van with a 350 5.0 OD AT. We need to put in a new/used transmission and are wondering what additional makes (Chevy, etc...) and years might be interchangable with ours? Finding another exact 86 GMC transmission has been challenging.

Thank You!
Cristy

Stu in Camrose
10-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Most decent transmission shops and autowreckers will know what will fit. Just tell them what it's for.

Stu

Off_Road
12-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Posted by p0c0q - 10-06-2004 at 09:48 PMHello and thanks in advance for any help received.

We just bought a 1986 GMC Vandura Conversion Van with a 350 5.0 OD AT. We need to put in a new/used transmission and are wondering what additional makes (Chevy, etc...) and years might be interchangable with ours? Finding another exact 86 GMC transmission has been challenging.

Thank You!
Cristy

If memory serves me right you probably have the 700R4 transmission in that thing. I hated them when they first came out. The engineers didn't design them so well (lots of bugs). Mainly in the oil circuitry, oil gallies of the trans. One of the fixes was to drill out the stator in the front pump.

Anyway, sorry back to your question. I think a TH350 will bolt right up. Hardly any conversion whatsoever. Linkage, cooler lines, cross member, even the drive shaft all fit like a charm. Only two things. The 700 doesn't have a vacuum modulator and the 350 does. So, no biggie, run a vacuum line down. The other thing deals with the throttle preasure cable linkage (hole sizes in their respective cases are different). But that's no biggie either. They make a kit, you just cut off the end of the plastic part of the cable housing on the transmission side with a tube cutter. Comes with directions and shows you just where to cut. Get the TH350 and not the TH350C. Less hastle and you won't have to mess with wiring the lock-up torque converter.

(p.s. one disclaimer: in some States this procedure is against their smog laws and any certified mechanic/technician if found doing this could be found liable and possibly fined upwards to the extent of $10,000.00).

Add your comment to this topic!