Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should I replace my Timing Belt?

mcat39
10-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Has anyone had trouble with the timing belt on a '96 Izuzu Rodeo. I'm debating whether to get mine replaced. The car has 120,000 miles and I don't want to put to much money into it because I don't have too much extra money to spend on this and i'm not sure how many more miles I will get out of the car anyway. I've already spend $1,500 to rebuild the transmission and am kind of apprehensive about a mechanic taking apart an engine that works fine right now to replace a belt that may not have much wrong with it.

I'd appreciate any advice I could get on this! Thanks!

2eyefishclaw
10-06-2004, 08:56 PM
its an easy job that you could most likely do yourself. Yes I would get it done. It would be better than getting stranded if it does break.
If you decide to replace it you should also replace the timing belt tensioner.

rodeo02
10-06-2004, 09:33 PM
If you can handle the risk of being stranded with an inop truck, dont change the t-belt until the water pump starts to leak, then do the t-belt, tensioner & waterpump all at once. Flip side on that is, if you don't catch a small coolant leak & eventually overheat your 3.2, it will be toast.
G/luck
Joel

highlandlake
10-07-2004, 07:55 PM
I replaced the timing belt on my 97 rodeo last year. At 82,000 miles it was starting to show cracks that went about 1/4 into the belt. I wouldn't have trusted it to last to 100,000. If you are gonna do it, see the other thread about how best to hold it in place while lining up the timing marks. Good luck. Highland

Add your comment to this topic!