Page updated on 10-23-2017

1992 LaSabre Lighting Problem

popyee
10-06-2004, 12:56 PM
I just inherited my mother's 1992 Buick LaSabre with only 24,000 miles. There is an intemintent problem with the lights. Sometimes, when I turn the headlight switch off the headlights go off but the parking lights stay on. It often takes up to 10 minues of playing with the headlight switch before the parking lighs go off. When I first got the car I thought that there was just a delay before the lights went out but the next morning the battery was very dead.

How do I diagnose this problem? I would dike to look at the connections on the switch but don't know how to remove the switch. Also, assumming that the problem may be a relay, where is the relay located? Could there be any other reason for this problem?

Gus Raynor
12-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Did you ever find the problem. I have a 93 with the same problem.

thanks

Gus

buickmastermind
12-06-2004, 08:42 PM
I've heard about this happening with a few cars, and I think the problem is the switch, as (to my knowledge) the relays are in the switch.

tinman72
12-27-2004, 11:35 PM
I have a '94 with the same problem. So far, it only happens after I have driven the car for 2-3 hrs. Does that still lead me to the switch or could it be something under the hood that gets overheated?

GRyckman
10-04-2005, 10:04 PM
I have a '94 with the same problem. So far, it only happens after I have driven the car for 2-3 hrs. Does that still lead me to the switch or could it be something under the hood that gets overheated?

I have a 93 Buick Park Ave Ultra I've owned for 6 years now. Have 235K miles on it (supercharged 231 V6) and it just began doing the identical thing: after driving for 30 minutes or longer, when you turn the headlights off, the parking lights stay on. I haven't timed them yet but occasionally after say 10 or so minutes I can turn on and off quickly the parking light switch and they'll go off. More times than not though, they remain on. I've had to simply disconnect my negative battery cable at work every a.m. so as to not drain the battery.

Did you or anyone else ever determine the cause? My blower motor doesn't work either but I doubt these are related, but who knows.

GRyckman
10-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Did you ever find the problem. I have a 93 with the same problem.

thanks

Gus

GUS: Did you ever determine the cause of this problem? I have the same issue with a 93 Buick Park Ave Ultra now...

Thanks much.

GRyckman

spinne1
10-14-2005, 11:05 PM
I had almost the exact same problem. It drove me insane. I finally traced the problem and fixed it. Read my answer in the thread below for all the details:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290353&highlight=light+control+module

Add your comment to this topic!