Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

speedometer problems

honkytonkman2004
10-06-2004, 09:36 AM
i have a 1999 2 wheel drive automatic and the speedometer doesn't register below 35 mph. also, the emergency brake light and the ABS light stay on constantly. any ideas?

praisethelowered
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Have your computer's codes checked (available at most auto parts stores), You may have a bad wheel sensor in the rear.

LTJGWorth
10-06-2004, 02:43 PM
It's almost definatly the sensor in the differential. You need to get that checked ASAP because I have heard of people with the same problem having to have their diff's replaced because they were chewed all to hell, and the ABS sensor on the top of the diff case was picking it up.

mxracer111
10-06-2004, 09:45 PM
dont waste ur time at the dealers or auto store. there machines dont pick the code up, i had snap on use there most exspensive scaner and it came back truck good ok to drive. i have a 1998 and i just replaced my speed sensor because of the same reason. dealership wanted 41bucks included tax. same price as auto store but i knopw its the right one. funny thing is when i went into the parts dept and asked for the speed sensor he knew exactlly what i wanted because its pretty common thing. the speed sensor in on the rear end and has a nut thats holds a cable that comes off, then the bolt, just twist and pull up to get out. use some lube or slippry stuff to put new one in, should only take maybe 15 mins too change.
as far as the rear ends going bad just make sure you change the oil during its service interval and you should be all right some dodges do have that problem

corjliza
11-08-2004, 12:29 PM
I had a similar problem but on my 2000 Ram the sensor was on the Transmission instead of the Rear differential and I bought a Napa sensor because the Mopar sensor goes out on all models not just the Ram Pickup

Russ_M
11-08-2004, 03:43 PM
It should have kicked a PO500 code(vehicle speed sensor malfunction) I have a 98 and its doin the same thing. Napa should have it in stock about 35- $40.

scoutinkeith
11-08-2004, 03:45 PM
I had the same thing happen to my 99 ram. it was the rear speed sensor(there are two, one on the trans and one on the dif) as mentioned above, it's a good idea to check the dif fluid and gears when you check the sensor. the sensor is magnetic, and if it is picking up pieces from the gear oil, there is a good chance that the gears are wearing. they may not need replaced, and if they are ok, it's still a good idea to change the lube.

Add your comment to this topic!