Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mass water dripping from my muffler

RickwithaTbird
10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
I havent driven my car any besides to move it in or out of my garage for the last few days, and today i was helping my cousin jump start his ranger, and when I was revving the engine, water was pretty much pouring out from my muffler, and the steam coming out of the exhaust was about a 3-4 foot cloud that was too thick to see thru. I let it idle for about 10 minutes and the steam stopped, but when I revved it it came back again... I know its not just from sitting for a couple days.. its too much. Theres a clicking sound coming from my intake manifold, or from below it, I cant tell... its a steady click.. not too loud but audible with the hood closed, about 4-5 clicks/second... this happening along with a few other problems in the last few days including... the car turns over very slowly as if the battery was dying but its not, my voltage meter doesnt work, and my a/c can not be controlled, and the fan keeps blowing in the front dash, and I cant turn it off (all my fuses are good, but I did have to replace the RUN fuse). I cant afford to have somebody even look at it, much less fix it. My car has had overheating problems in the past (but not anymore, i just needed a new radiator fan and it runs like a champ), so Im wondering what kind of damage may have been done from overheating which would corrolate with the steam and water, but still leave the car very driveable and reliable. Aside from when I take the car apart to work on the stereo or interior (like this instance), I drive the car daily with no problems what-so-ever. I dont know much about engines at all. My cousin was saying something about possibly a bad valve, or head gasket, or intake gasket... theres no water in my oil, and theres no oil in my coolant. I understand that this could be way too broad of a problem for somebody to know whats going on just from reading this, but then again I dont know much about engines, so I could be missing something that may be quite obvious to someone who does. I would appreciate any suggestions. By the way, its a 96, 3.8. Thank you in advance.

robz84monte
10-05-2004, 06:32 PM
if its blowing out white smoke after warming up then its probably coolant getting into on or more cylinders first thing i'd do is a compression test and or a cylinder leak down test. it's probably a bad head gasket, but worst case could be a cracked head or block. (a leak down test can uncover this)

RickwithaTbird
10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Im not sure if it makes a difference but all the smoke coming out was just steam, and there was no coolant coming out at all. I do lose coolant very slowly though, I have noticed. I Filled my coolant up to the Full Hot line about a month ago and it is now at the Full Cold line. I check my fluids regularly, and the coolant loss is consistent. I usually do smell a little bit of coolant after driving for a while, which leads me to believe that all the coolant im losing is being burned off somewhere in the engine compartment. I had a compression test done on my cooling system back in january, or february, which was AFTER the last time my car overheated and they said it was not leaking anywhere. I dont know what a cylinder leak down test is, but I'lll look into having that done. you say it will uncover a cracked head or block... will that also tell if I have a bad head gasket? and if not, how can I tell? Another thing.. I was under the impression that if I had a cracked head or block, I would be getting oil in my coolant... Is that not always true? Sorry if I ask a lot of questions, I just don't know a whole lot about this. Thanks again.

fcdriver
10-05-2004, 11:56 PM
A leak down test will pressurize the cyclinder and if it has a leak it will let the pressure out, the coolent your smelling well could be due to a headgasket leak. If you do have a headgasket leak it might not be leaking into the oil but just around the combustion chamber only allowing the smoke could be a small hole, pin sized can cause this. Are you running coolent or just plain water?
One way to check if you do have blown head gasket is taking your smelling your exhaust while the car is running (dont stick your head down there and take in as much as you can) and if you smell a sweet smell then you have coolent leaking into the combustion chamber.

Mike75
10-06-2004, 12:21 AM
If you end up having a blown head gasket - I HIGHLY recommend K&W Block Seal. Follow the directions EXACTLY if you end up using it. I blew a head gasket about 6 months ago, and haven't had a problem since. I know it's just a band-aid, but it's holding me over until I can afford to get it fixed. I wrote a long thread about it when I did it, and since you seem to enjoy looking up the old threads, check it out. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!