Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Has anyone used Engine Restore on their Integra/RSX?

danielsmi
10-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Hi this is my first thread on this forum I'm a newbie to cars and I have a 96 integra LS with 80K miles. I was interested in buying this engine restore poduct that comes in a silver can and you add to your oil. I did a search in this forum and found good results for the product, people claimed their engine ran better overall after using it. For those that don't know it's supposed to increase the compression in your engine by filling in scratches caused by the piston rubbing against the engine wall. Upon further research on the internet I came across multiple accounts of people using it and their engine ran better for a while and then they would break (slip)a bearing. Engine Restore has metal flakes in it and that is what fills in the scratch marks, the metal flakes are heated up by the engine and they melt and fill in the scratches and I guess solidify after engine is turned off. Also the metal flakes supposedly clog up the oil filter and prevent it from doing it's job, and they also I guess settle at the bottom of the engine and crust it up and that is what causes the bearing to slip. I've been on other forums for a long time and know that people only post when they have problems or bad experiences with a product so I want to know if anyone has tried this and had continued sucess with this product?

Daniel Smith

pikkagtr
10-04-2004, 09:06 PM
i've used it on several of my previous cars including a 91 accord, a 5th gen lude with about 50k and it seems to work a the first 750 miles or so
hope this helps

danielsmi
10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks, has anyone else used the product with success?

Daniel Smith

gsr916
10-08-2004, 01:57 AM
why bother using it anyways. 80k on a 3rd generation B18 is nothin. its still a child!

integralover
10-08-2004, 01:42 PM
hmm. let me think about this one. it heats up the flakes to a melting point to fill in the microscopic scratches and once the engine is cool it hardens in the cracks. what happens when the engine heats back up again? i use Sea Foam. this sh*t is killer engine cleaner. i use it on my new engine which has 120k miles on it and the oil is crystal clear. i did research on Sea Foam and found alot of people to really enjoy it. i use it every other oil change. it does not fill in cracks or anything but, it really gets out all of the build up and gunk in the engine. i'll try to find this one post on it.

integralover
10-08-2004, 01:51 PM
here is a link with sea foam and to a ton of other links regaurding how well this stuff works. http://www.b17a.net/phpBB/phpBB-2.0.6/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1914&highlight=foam

danielsmi
10-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Thank you integra lover for the links. I just did the seafoam thing via the brake booster, crank case and gas tank and went for a drive, I notice a difference but I don't know if it's better. When I put the seafoam in brake booster do you think it makes a big difference whether the engine was warmed up or not because I forgot to warm the engine up before adding it?

I also bought the engine restore and may try that tonight and will compare the two.

Daniel Smith

integralover
10-12-2004, 07:11 PM
well it might be hard to compare the two now. the only way to tell is wait awhile and try the engine restorer. b/c you already did the sea foam. its like cleaning an already clean floor. and i did not notice a big difference performance wise, just the way the oil looked after 3k miles after i used the sea foam for the first time. as far as the brake booster, i still need to do that.:dunno:

danielsmi
10-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I didn't do a full third of a bottle with the brake booster maybe like 2-3oz because I stalled the engine and didn't feel like doing it all over again. Maybe tomorrow I'll go buy another bottle and do it all over again and pour the extra in the gas tank.

Daniel Smith

Add your comment to this topic!