Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

5.0 restrictions

bigbob
10-03-2004, 05:08 PM
hey fellas, i was just curious to now if therer aer any power eating peices on a 5.0 ho. anything that really slows her down or can be replaced to gain a decent amount more.

on that same topic is there anything that isnt worth changing. like headers are{im guessing} not fun to try to get out is it worth the hassel\
sry for my lack of 5.0 sence..thanks

Muscletang
10-03-2004, 05:33 PM
The baffle that covers your air filter reduces horse power and makes your car sound quieter.
As for replacing, I'd say get those 2.73 gears out of the rear and put some 3.27s, 3.55s, or 3.73s in there.

bigbob
10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
thanks abunch. is that gunna demolish gas?

Muscletang
10-03-2004, 09:32 PM
is that gunna demolish gas?

It depends on what you put in there. When dad put 3.55s in his it didn't really make his gas milage worse. On the highway with 3.55s or 3.73s you're going to have to drive slower or else your engine will reving rather high. So, highway isn't affected, that is if you drive slower to keep your revs down.
Now when driving around town cruising and such, you will see a difference. It isn't bad but you'll notice a change.
Personally I'm going with 3.27s so my gas milage will be better. Once I start going to college I'm going to be doing a whole lot of highway driving so I need taller gears.
In the end it depends on what you'll be using this for. If it's going to be a weekend cruise monster, go with the 3.73s or higher. If you're going to use it as a daily driver 3.27s. The 3.55s can go either way as I see it. You have to be conservative on the highway but they'll work. When driving around town cruising they'll help you in stop light to stop light drags.

Add your comment to this topic!