Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 s-10 2.8l oil leak

jdw1985
10-03-2004, 03:50 PM
it has an oil leak around the filter but i have changed the filter and cannot figure out why its leaking near there i thought it was the unit the filter connectes to ? help please!

sector95
10-03-2004, 05:09 PM
it has an oil leak around the filter but i have changed the filter and cannot figure out why its leaking near there i thought it was the unit the filter connectes to ? help please!

Sometimes you need to do a little Sherlock Holmes with leaks. Often times where they show up is not where they originate. I have an '85 with the 2.8L and its oil leak *appeared* to be coming from the rear main seal...but I also found a lot of oil on top of the starter and traced the source of the leak to the valve cover. GM started to use RTV silcone sealant in lieu of real gaskets (no doubt to save money) in the early 80's. When the silicone dries out you'll get a leak.

Power clean the engine, get it as clean as you can as this will aid in the detection of any leaks...makes it easier to spot and trace when the engine is clean and not layered in 16 years worth of grime. Does it leak all the time or only when the engine is running? Or, does it only leak when the truck sits? Do you notice any oil smoke burning off the exhaust manifold?

Mike

BlazerLT
10-03-2004, 06:55 PM
^^Very true other than you don't power wash an electronic controlled engine EVER.

jdw1985
10-03-2004, 07:39 PM
it only leaks when running its not coming out of the engine at all i have established that its only right by the oil filter i think i might need a new oil filter adapter

BlazerLT
10-03-2004, 08:10 PM
yea, that could be true but as sector said, don't rule out a valve cover gasket leaking and the oil running around that area.

jdw1985
10-04-2004, 01:28 PM
well i figured out that it is not a valve cover it is for sure the oil filter adapter but im not sure how to fix it if i should just buy a new one or repair the one thats on it and its gonna be a pain to get the old one off seeing the motor mount is right in the way of the one bolt that holds it on to the engine

BlazerLT
10-04-2004, 01:52 PM
It doable, you just need the right tools.

sector95
10-04-2004, 07:02 PM
well i figured out that it is not a valve cover it is for sure the oil filter adapter but im not sure how to fix it if i should just buy a new one or repair the one thats on it and its gonna be a pain to get the old one off seeing the motor mount is right in the way of the one bolt that holds it on to the engine

I feel your pain... the 2.8L seems to have been designed purposely to thwart any easy maintenance...it is truley a royal PITA to work on. You may have to remove the engine mount, supporting the engine temporarily with a floor jack.... best to check a good service manual.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!