Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

does removing a muffler hurt your car?

gc-v6-99
02-14-2002, 08:58 PM
if you take off one muffler on your v6 will it hury the car/ will it make it slower?

HONDA_99
02-15-2002, 05:21 PM
you can do that, but you need to put bigger piping and free flow muffler.
with just a muffler you will lose power on high end.

btw, if you want to do this mod you might need to look into getttig Comptech headers. with that combo you will benefit most.

yospeed
08-18-2002, 05:49 PM
No, removing a muffler will not hurt your car.

V-6 Dallas
07-30-2003, 02:28 AM
Hey man if you want to go pipe-less why not have a dump welded in in front of the muffler...

I did on my 97 and it sounds beautiful plus it gave me an extra 10-15 hp... oh and if you go to get inspection the dump comes with a plate you screw over it and everything goes right back through the stock muffler...

g2driver
04-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Wait, you said take off "one" muffler. Do you have dual exhaust? If you do, I think it might affect the engine, only on a true dual exhaust, im not sure, but it would affect the back pressure on half the engine, giving it more power, only one half, might that put more wear on the timing chain/belt. In theory, correct me if im wrong.

Whumbachumba
04-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I thought that the honda's dual exhaust was one pipe till the muffler then it split into two. I guess I should look under the car more than over the dash. I would take off the stock muffler and add on a greddy/skunk2/dc sports exhaust on. They run about 700-1000 dollars from the retailer, but on ebay you can find them for 500 at the most.

g2driver
04-20-2005, 07:40 AM
If its not a true dual exhaust I don't see why there'd be a problem. But I'd still replace both at the same time.

blacknight
04-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Well, I assume you have a 6th gen Accord by looking at your sign in name. So if that's accurate, you would have two mufflers (one on each side of the bumper) They would split off at the end of the mid pipe right after the mid muffler. It won't harm the car but the sound will be annoying as hell, let alone looking pretty stupid. Just like listening to a car without a muffler.
You have two options.

1) You can get an aftermarket exhaust system with two mufflers

OR

2) You can customize an exhaust system to hold a single muffler (either on the left or right side). But the piping would would have to be much larger for you to have the same hp if not gain any.

Add your comment to this topic!