Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Toyota Matrix vs. Mazda 3

fizzledee
10-03-2004, 02:19 AM
I'm trying to decide between these 2 vehicles. Any recommendations? They're both similarly priced. Having a hard time deciding between the 2. Any help would be appreciated.

mason_RsX
10-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Having learned to drive on a Mazda Protege I really like the mazdas and they are really really fun to drive and screw around with...Now if you are comparing the XRS to the base 3 then the xrs...but if not than I would take the mazda

genjy
10-03-2004, 01:18 PM
The Mazda3 is a much more sportier car. It is based on the new European Ford Focus chassis so it can handle. It comes with either the Ford Z-Tec 2.0L or the Duratec-HE 2.3L, both are very tune-able and very popular motors in Europe and the U.S. The 2.3L will be Ford's bread-and-butter 4cylinder, so you can expect a MASSIVE aftermarket support for it.

If you have the $$$, the Mazda3 can be equipped with leather and navigation, two options you can't get with the Matrix.

The only pros I can think of for the Matrix are the 2ZZ-GE (XRS) and the practicality of a hatchback/wagon.

kman10587
10-03-2004, 01:23 PM
The Mazda 3 is certainly the better car...although it's hard to resist that 170 hp 2ZZ-GE and the sweet-shifting six-speed.

fizzledee
10-03-2004, 03:51 PM
so the engine in the mazda 3 is a ford engine?

FordJunky
10-03-2004, 07:26 PM
mazda is owned by ford... but dont let that scare u, both of those engines are very solid...

genjy
10-03-2004, 07:42 PM
I am not sure if both engines were completely designed by U.S. Ford. I think the 2.0L Z-Tec might be part European Ford design and the 2.3L might be part Mazda design. Both are GREAT engines for tuning. The 2.3L particularly has a lot of future because Ford's hybrid system currently builds around that engine. The 2.3L will be around for a good while.

kman10587
10-03-2004, 09:16 PM
I don't know or care who made 'em, they're both awesome engines. :)

CassiesMan
10-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Id go with the Matrix. Practicality of the hatch back, plus the engine accepts very well to mods. Sport compact car is tunning one up, and so far, i think its gone good.

Neutrino
10-04-2004, 12:06 AM
mazda 3 all the way. The sedan versions looks pretty good.

And that new chassis used by Ford is supposed to be pretty good. Same one as the volvo S40.

The Matrix on the other hand....fugly

Jimster
10-04-2004, 12:35 AM
I don't know why the Matrix is even being considered really.

The Mazda3 is one of the best hatches on sale, if not the best. It's handlig is even better than the 6, the 2.3 is smooth and responsive (Though that's from my experience with a 6) and it's comfy and well designed.

We're probably going to replace our Stilo with a 2.0 (Highest the range goes here) one next year :D

CassiesMan
10-08-2004, 06:28 PM
The only other argument I have for the Matrix over the Mazda is the fact that Toyota destroyed Mazda in the JD Power Associates 3 year realiablity tests.

Jimster
10-08-2004, 06:40 PM
The only other argument I have for the Matrix over the Mazda is the fact that Toyota destroyed Mazda in the JD Power Associates 3 year realiablity tests.
Yes, but that's not to say that Mazdas are by any means unreliable, they usually go to 200,000 Km's relatively happily (If they're FWD, piston driven cars) trouble free

CassiesMan
10-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Oh no, I agree, Im just saying, lol

aznxthuggie
10-12-2004, 12:13 AM
well personally i would pick the matrix.. for me its just pratical.. and if its the xrs then its a plus (why not throw thw corolla xrs and the scion tc in for fun?)

and in terms of reliablility my family has owned.. oldsmobile, mazda, toyota, honda, dodge

the oldsmobile was running good until it got hit (totaled)
the mazda wasn't that good (kept runnign into problems) and the dodge was the worse.. we sold the dodge and the mazda still runs fine but it took about of $ to repair.. the toyota and honda are still workin of course

Add your comment to this topic!