Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Most overrated/underrated band?

Pages : [1] 2

MagicRat
10-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Some person came up with this winner on another post in this forum:

Led Zepp - most horridly overrated band in the history of existence of music.

So, who do you think is most over rated, by fans, or music critics, etc? Feel free to tell us why.

Personally, I think all these manufactured 'boy bands' over the years qualify, (such as the Back End Bo...excuse me, Back Street Boys.)

(Oh, also Frank Sinatra....how a no-talent little mobster like him became popular is beyond me.)

ec437
10-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Blink 182!!!

supratuner
10-03-2004, 07:38 AM
All boy bands.

Blink 182
Simple Plan
Good Charlotte
ACDC
NEw Found GLory
GodSmack
Jet
Strokes
The Killers
Franz Ferdinand
The USed
AFI

any thing from the 80s, any thing trying to be like the 80s, and all pop punk/pop emo.

Jimster
10-03-2004, 07:57 AM
KoRN. I've heard thier stuff, it sounds like the time I stuck marbles in the blender for fun. I don't know why everyone rarks on about it. Just more crap for teenagers who think they are angry to become more angry, even though the real world is still a myth for them.

Amish_kid
10-03-2004, 08:29 AM
KoRN. I've heard thier stuff, it sounds like the time I stuck marbles in the blender for fun. I don't know why everyone rarks on about it. Just more crap for teenagers who think they are angry to become more angry, even though the real world is still a myth for them.

I dunno man, KoRn does have a lot of talent. Just listen to either of their first 2 cd's, when that came out it was well beyond anything anyone ever heard but they went soft over the years, but I don't really think they are overrated. If anyone is overrated it's that god damned hippy Dave Matthews, everyone talks about him like he is god but he fuckin' sucks hard!

Rbraczyk
10-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Korn is awesome, and whoever said that about sinatra should be dragged into the street and shot.

Mediocrity
10-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Led Zeppelin IS overrated.

I dont know why people nutride them so much. Even when I say it, every puke gets the wrong idea.

Saying they're overrated =/= they suck.

Led Zeppelin is a good band, but they're not as great as everyone thinks they are. Jimmy Page isn't all that good of a guitarist... the songs arent even all that revolutionary. It's mediocre rock that got nutrode to the top because people think Jimmy Page is Jesus Reincarnated. Get off it.

eversio11
10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Jimmy Page isn't all that good of a guitarist...
Do you play guitar? If so, go look at a tab for Bron-Yr-Aur. Try and learn to play it. Then tell me Jimmy Page isn't one of the most impressive guitar players ever.

However, 'Stairway to Heaven' is the most overrated song of all time.

Mediocrity
10-03-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry, but since I can't play guitar as good as Jimmy Page I have to worship him? Piss off.

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie, Reggie Wooten. They're all better than Page.

Victor Wooten would make a 100x better guitarist than Jimmy Page would.

xtoyotacorex
10-03-2004, 01:37 PM
I dunno man, KoRn does have a lot of talent. Just listen to either of their first 2 cd's, when that came out it was well beyond anything anyone ever heard but they went soft over the years, but I don't really think they are overrated. If anyone is overrated it's that god damned hippy Dave Matthews, everyone talks about him like he is god but he fuckin' sucks hard!
korn is weak, listen to between the buried and me, or bury your dead, those bands would fuck korn up.

Mediocrity
10-03-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I've heard better guitar playing from kids in guitar shops.

Page wasn't that talented, buddy. all of pages stuff has been tabbed. Victor Wooten, a BASSIST, has a solo that has yet to be tabbed...

Rbraczyk
10-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Well the fact that wooten can play bass like no other, and the freaken speed that that man moves at, no guitarist can keep up.

ec437
10-03-2004, 03:04 PM
wooten is incredible. He can slap 64th notes...

I play bass myself and have written some stuff that others have thought to be incredible... personally I don't think they're too impressive, but even so, I was once challenged that if I could learn to play one of Wootens better solos within a years time, they would give me $500. I tried, and guess what? No such luck. :eek:

Mediocrity
10-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Wooten is the godliest electric string player to exist, him and his brother.

x~Underoath~x
10-03-2004, 03:53 PM
korn is weak, listen to between the buried and me, or bury your dead, those bands would fuck korn up.

BTBAM yes...they will kill you. If none have heard of them, go to www.betweentheburiedandme.com and listen to some of their songs...especially Mordecai.

eversio11
10-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Page wasn't that talented, buddy. all of pages stuff has been tabbed. Victor Wooten, a BASSIST, has a solo that has yet to be tabbed...
Alright, so because Jimmy Page is not the greatest guitarist in the world, makes him overrated? I like your logic.

Mediocrity
10-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Jimmy Pages is NOT the following:

The best guitarist
The most creative guitarist
The Most revolutionary guitarist
The most soulful guitarist

or anything. There's someone better than him in every catergory. And yet, everywhere I go... I see a bunch of people nutriding him as the greatest guitarist who ever lived, and that Led Zeppelin is the greatest band EVAR.

I've even been told that if I dont like Led Zeppelin, I don't like music.

Well guess what, bub. You and the rest of the Led Zepp worshipers are what turns everyone else off from them. Whenever you talk about Led Zeppelin or Jimmy Page the only thing ANYONE ever hears is 'slurp slurp slurp'. Get off it, bub. There are people who don't like Led Zeppelin.

And when people state rediculous things like "Jimmy Page is the best guitarist ever!", "If you dont like Led Zeppelin, you don't like music!", "Jimmy Page might not have been the most technically amazing guitarist but he had the most feeling!", that's when they become overrated. And since it happens EVERYWHERE I've gone, that makes them the most overrated band. Ever. I could even direct you to a couple of their diehard fans that will tell you this:

Led Zeppelin is the most overrated band. ever. in the history of the world.

So go on somewhere else.

ec437
10-03-2004, 04:35 PM
:owned:

YogsVR4
10-03-2004, 05:18 PM
If it raps - its overrated.

If it yoddles - its overrated.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

thrasher
10-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Nobody solos live like Page...anywhere...ever. Not even Hendrix. There are a FEW technically better guitarists than Page, but in a live show, nobody is even close.

Steve Vai and Satch better than Page? That's just silly

Mediocrity
10-03-2004, 05:58 PM
The best you can come up with is Page solo's great live?

The kids at the guitar shop solo better than Page. That's live.

ec437
10-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Never heard of Page. Therefore, he is obviously not good enough. There, you're both owned.

zebrathree
10-03-2004, 08:43 PM
All boy bands.

Blink 182
Simple Plan
Good Charlotte
ACDC
NEw Found GLory
GodSmack
Jet
Strokes
The Killers
Franz Ferdinand
The USed
AFI

any thing from the 80s, any thing trying to be like the 80s, and all pop punk/pop emo.

How can you lump AC/DC in with all these others, lad? You do know that there's essentially TWO AC/DC's, don't you?

Explain.

eversio11
10-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Jimmy Pages is NOT the following:

The best guitarist
The most creative guitarist
The Most revolutionary guitarist
The most soulful guitarist

I don't recall saying any one of those things

And let me get this straight.. you don't feel Jimmy Page is any of those things. Alright, thats your opinion, you don't like Jimmy Page. Now, someone else finds Jimmy Page to be a fantastic guitarist, and you go off saying 'kids in the guitar shop are better than him'. So, who's trouncing who's opinion here?

You don't even play the guitar, so who are you to judge the skill and ability of a guitarist? How about you take up guitar, and learn every single one of Led Zeppelin's and Jimmy Page's solo songs. Then come back here and then maybe we can talk about his guitar skills.

thrasher
10-03-2004, 10:44 PM
The best you can come up with is Page solo's great live?

The kids at the guitar shop solo better than Page. That's live.

What? (One more time for added emphasis) WHAT?

Ummmmmm...ok.

dayna240sx
10-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Led Zeppelin is NOT overrated and Sinatra is definantly NOT overrated either.

I think Incubus is totally overrated and I hate all their music

MBTN
10-03-2004, 11:28 PM
I'd have to agree that LZ is OVER rated.

Mediocrity
10-04-2004, 12:00 AM
I dont play guitar? When did I say that?

It's proof that there are guys shredding better than Yngwie who just hang out in guitar shops, there are lots of people technically better than Jimmy Page. There's ALWAYS someone better.

I really dont know what your problem is. You act like I just called your mother a cunt, but all I said was that Led Zeppelin is not worth the praise they get from people like you. I don't have to learn every piece of someone's music to say that they don't deserve the lip service you're giving him right now. By rights, untill you learn everything I've ever written then you can't tell me that I can't judge Jimmy Page. No double standards in this conversation.

But, as far as I can tell, people like Eversio are so caught up in the hype that Jimmy Page is the greatest man to ever live that they'll never step back and see that he isnt really all that great. He's good, but he's no Randy Rhoades, SRV, Reggie Wooten or Yngwie. He's just not as good as they are.

They were a good band in their time, but they dont deserve the praise they get.

KustmAce
10-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Why are you guys saying all these bands are over-rated? I would like to hear your reasoning, because I think we are getting away from the point of this thread. I think its becoming a "who I think sucks" thread, with no logical explanations.

my3rdskyline
10-04-2004, 01:41 AM
hole, fuck hole.
back in slimey high school with my psycho of an ex girl friend I used to often wonder. How is Hole bigger than L7 or Bikini kill. I mean none of them are that great, but hole should get some kind of an award for sucking ass.

Rbraczyk
10-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Agreed, hole is terrible.

Mediocrity
10-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Kustm, I never said Led Zepp SUCKED.

I said Led Zepp is OVERRATED. Major difference.

MBTN
10-04-2004, 02:02 PM
I also have to say Nirvana is overrated. Yes I said it.

jon@af
10-04-2004, 02:53 PM
The Beatles.

Toksin
10-04-2004, 06:41 PM
I hate the music you like.

jon@af
10-04-2004, 06:47 PM
I hate the music you like.
I will punch you in the face.

Korn is another one that comes to my mind as overrated.

KustmAce
10-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Kustm, I never said Led Zepp SUCKED.

I said Led Zepp is OVERRATED. Major difference.

I would like to hear your reasoning

superdrifter22
10-05-2004, 12:02 AM
I also have to say Nirvana is overrated. Yes I said it.

i totally agree, a lot of people at my school are obsessed with nivana, i am really sick of them

Toksin
10-05-2004, 12:37 AM
This thread sucks. Let people like what they like, stop ragging on them for their own opinions. Music is music. If you don't like a band or think they're overrated, just don't listen to them.

Mediocrity
10-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Kustm, I've already said it like 3 million times why. If you're not bright enough to realize it, I don't care.

jaysgotalude
10-05-2004, 10:26 AM
This thread sucks. Let people like what they like, stop ragging on them for their own opinions. Music is music. If you don't like a band or think they're overrated, just don't listen to them.

Thats excatly what i was thinking....

Mediocrity
10-05-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry... but when did overrated become a secondary meaning to "this band sucks"?

Suislide
10-05-2004, 05:13 PM
it didn't.

but some people seem to think that's what this thread is.

keep it constructive, give reasons behind your choices, keep arguments CONSTRUCTIVE and not just idle flaming, and remember this is a "overrated band" thread, not a "bands who suck" thread.

91300zxtt
10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
i agree with swigz, the beatles imo are over rated, but that doesnt mean i do not have respect for them. another band that comes to mind is NIRVANA. they are quite possibly the most overrated band. their stuff is so simplistic and easy, yet i also have much respect for them just because they were basically the FIRST to do it.

as for the zeppelin debate. zepp is not overrated in the slightest, ask any band out there nowadays who they idolized, and ill bet you will hear zeppelin in the top 10. ask the guitarists who they idolize and they will say page in the top 10. true page ma not be the best guitarist by todays standards, but he is still one of the most talented musicians. few ppl realize he wrote almost all of zeppelins music from guitar obviously, to the lyrics, bass lines, even most of the drum beats. i have no idea how someone that talented could be considered overrated. back then it was un heard of to make 10 minute songs sound that great, especially stairway. even by todays standards most ppl could not make a song that long that sounds that good and memorize it completely

so no zeppelin is not overrated, if they started in this time period they would still be at the top

Mediocrity
10-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Most guitarists I know don't idolize page one bit.

Actually, most of them say Page was overrated. My favorite bands didn't even mention Led Zeppelin as their influences. I could list off a million bands who wont say they idolized Led Zeppelin. Most of the bands I see who do, are cookie-cutter rock bands who sound like crap anyway.

Zeppelin wouldn't be at the top today because if they had come out today, most kids today wouldn't listen to them with the invasion of pop-punk, pop-rock, pop-rap, pop everything. They have no place in the music that you hear today, it's a fact.

They were only OK when they came out, and they remain only OK.

Most metal bands these days idolized Sabbath and Rhoades.

And real drummers idolized the guy from Jethro Tull. He was the greatest drummer of all time... no question.

dayna240sx
10-05-2004, 11:02 PM
you are either on crack or are from new zealand..my friend. ;)

dayna240sx
10-05-2004, 11:11 PM
what aboot the drummer from Def lepard?

Saying Bonzo (John Bonham) is over-rated is BS!

Have you listened to a live version of Moby Dick?
How aboot Bonzo's Montreaux?

who cares about Clive Bunker? Everyone is too busy scratching their heads after seeing Ian break out the flute to give a fuck about his drumming ability.

How aboot this... lets talk about under-rated bands/people in bands.. EG, Neil Peart

Mediocrity
10-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Jethro Tull is underrated :P

so is Iommi.

jon@af
10-06-2004, 12:40 AM
since we're including underrated bands, I changed the thread title a bit to accomodate:smile:

An underrated band to me: Abandonded Pools.

Fully_Sick
10-06-2004, 05:36 AM
Overrated is Blink 182, Slipknot, Silverchair, Slayer, Pantera, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Coldplay

Underrated is Pink Floyd(old material), Santana(old material), Tool, Grinspoon, Thin Lizzy, Dream Theater

and I think its safe to say that most of the older bands(especially around 60-70s) made stuff that is much more creative and deep than most modern musicians..

show me a modern day song that compares with Pink Floyd - Echoes!

91300zxtt
10-06-2004, 07:08 AM
ummmmm most drummmers today idolize danny carray- tool, chad sexton 311

and the god of drums neil peart- Rush whis is extremely underrated.

and MED. i have no idea where u live that none of these bands say zep was an influence, must be a small town or country. and zeppelin wouldnt have played the same music they did back then if they came out today they would be playing something totally different and be rockin that shit out

Mediocrity
10-06-2004, 09:40 AM
There are popular bands who have nothing to do with Zepp, too.

dayna240sx
10-06-2004, 09:47 AM
well yeah, But his point is, if you read an interview with a popular guitarist, Chances are they will say that Page is one of their influences.

For example, IF you were to look for the same question for Page, his answer would be Elvis's "lets play house" Which when you listen to it, isn't great at all, by todays standards. It influenced someone who then influenced many others.

Mediocrity
10-06-2004, 10:24 AM
My point is, he's making Page out to be the omega-influencer of the world, when the only people he's been influencing are college rock bands.

Rbraczyk
10-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Nirvana and the beatles are so overated its not funny.

dayna240sx
10-06-2004, 10:38 AM
do you consider TOOL or STP a college rock band???

Mediocrity
10-06-2004, 01:59 PM
No, but I also dont hear any Zeppelin influence in the music.

91300zxtt
10-06-2004, 03:56 PM
No, but I also dont hear any Zeppelin influence in the music.

HOLY CRAP, that was one of the most ignorant statements i have ever heard, just because a band doesnt sound like a band they were influenced by means they obviously werent influenced. read up on satriani a little bit and see who one of his influences are, guarantee one is page, if not his # 1. and satriani sounds nothing like page. your whole arguement is a false dilema by saying since tool sounds nothing like zeppelin, which they do( listen to dazed and confused) and tell me that the sound has no influence. all u are saying is since they dont sound alike obviously they cant be influenced by them:disappoin

Mediocrity
10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Is it?

Or maybe you can't read.

I said I dont hear Zeppelin influence.

If someone influences a band or guitarist, you can hear a hint of whoever influenced them in the band. Style, picking patterns, riff similarities, etc.

I never said anything about sounding like, so your statement is, in fact, the ignorant one.

TexasF355F1
10-06-2004, 07:37 PM
BTBAM yes...they will kill you. If none have heard of them, go to www.betweentheburiedandme.com and listen to some of their songs...especially Mordecai.
Sorry, but they suck. They sound absolutely horrible. You have to have the right sound for screaming/sing, and that guy cannot scream/sing. Just my opinion.

Add your comment to this topic!